Thread: Wynn 35A filter cleaning schedule

Wynn 35A filter cleaning schedule

I'm wondering what indicator you guys use to know how often to clean this canister filter. I just cleaned mine this weekend (with compressed air outside) and it made a world of difference in the suction on my 4" hose. Dust collector is the HF 2 hp with Thien baffle and pre-separator, and obviously a Wynn 35A canister on top.

I obviously waited too long to clean mine this last time; when face jointing 8" poplar this past weekend, the dust collector kept clogging at the baffle/pre-separator and backing up until I figured out that it was likely the canister so clogged that air flow was that restricted. Never had any issues with jointer chip collection before this. The canister appeared visually to be clogged to "critical mass" upon removal.

Am I correct in assuming that a certain amount of "loading" of the fine dust inside the filter is helpful for optimal micron filtration or is that not a concern with this particular filter? Maybe just a concern with the higher micron bags that leak more?

If it is a concern, at what point do you know that you've got too much fine dust built up inside the canister and are loosing air suction/volume more than you are filtering out the tiny particles?

Hope I'm making sense.

Go to the following site:

www.stumpynubs.com

and search fo his pressure differential setup. It will tell you when you need to clean it. Very simple unit to make.

Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Hi Philip,

i have the HF DC with the Wynn 35A and a Supper Dust Deputy I have ordered a 12 inch fan that should be here soon.
    i reconfigured the D.C. System IMG_0082.jpg as you can see, I am using 5 inch pipe.
    i have built two manometers to measure the performance of my DC. The first one monitors the static Pressure ( thought of as vacuum) I have one tube of the Manometer attached at the input of the Supper Dust Deputy (SDD)
    this tells me how the various bends and fittings in the line affect my Presure as I modify the system.
    The next Manometer measures the positive pressure exerted on the filter. The more the filter is clogged the greater the pressure inside of the filter. Low pressure is good, High pressure is indicative of a filters that needs cleaning.

The Thein Baffle does a good job of separating the large chips but not the fine dust. The fine dust is what is not good for our lungs. With the Thein Baffle the fine dust is not trapped in the dust bucket. The fine dust is transported to the Wynn filter. Where it clogs the filter. This is why I have the SDD it does capture the fine dust particles before it can get to the Wynn 35A.

Another thing to consider is how high the saw dust was in your collection bucket of the Thein Baffle, if it gets too high the saw dust can be sucked up into your filter.
    To mitigate this with my system I have a sensor that measures the height of the saw dust in the dust bucket.
    I built mysensor for less than $35.00

Take a look at DIY Tyler's YouTube on how to make a manometer.

if you want more details PM me.
    oh!
    my son is in School at Appilatchen State. I hope you are on high ground I saw how Boone flooded last Monday.

Lane

Your filter doesn't need any "seasoning". It's best to keep it clean... a quick hit with compressed air every so often is fine.

Blog Entries
    This will depend a lot on what is in front of the filter. On my cyclone the filter gets a thorough cleaning if I mess up and overfill the bin. Other than that, the internal brush takes care of things. Like a new blade, the difference is always staggering initially. This doesn't necessarily mean you've waited too long but, since the degradation is so gradual it can sneak up on you. I don't know that I would want to keep track of lineal feet of material processed or anything like that. I would just go with your perception of the performance.

If you are more comfortable with a more regimented schedule, pick an interval and put it on your calendar. Better yet, synchronize it with something important like your anniversary. You may never for get again ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Go to the following site:

www.stumpynubs.com

and search fo his pressure differential setup. It will tell you when you need to clean it. Very simple unit to make.
    Thank you! That solves the problem perfectly. I'd forgotten about Stumpy Nubs...

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hardy View Post
    Hi Philip,

i have the HF DC with the Wynn 35A and a Supper Dust Deputy I have ordered a 12 inch fan that should be here soon.
    i reconfigured the D.C. System IMG_0082.jpg as you can see, I am using 5 inch pipe.
    i have built two manometers to measure the performance of my DC. The first one monitors the static Pressure ( thought of as vacuum) I have one tube of the Manometer attached at the input of the Supper Dust Deputy (SDD)
    this tells me how the various bends and fittings in the line affect my Presure as I modify the system.
    The next Manometer measures the positive pressure exerted on the filter. The more the filter is clogged the greater the pressure inside of the filter. Low pressure is good, High pressure is indicative of a filters that needs cleaning.

The Thein Baffle does a good job of separating the large chips but not the fine dust. The fine dust is what is not good for our lungs. With the Thein Baffle the fine dust is not trapped in the dust bucket. The fine dust is transported to the Wynn filter. Where it clogs the filter. This is why I have the SDD it does capture the fine dust particles before it can get to the Wynn 35A.

Another thing to consider is how high the saw dust was in your collection bucket of the Thein Baffle, if it gets too high the saw dust can be sucked up into your filter.
    To mitigate this with my system I have a sensor that measures the height of the saw dust in the dust bucket.
    I built mysensor for less than $35.00

Take a look at DIY Tyler's YouTube on how to make a manometer.

if you want more details PM me.
    oh!
    my son is in School at Appilatchen State. I hope you are on high ground I saw how Boone flooded last Monday.

Lane
    Thanks for the detailed reply! When I cleaned out the canister recently, I only noticed fine dust particles and no real chips stuck inside the filter. I occasionally overflow the trash can under the separator when jointing or planing, but all those bigger chips seem to make it down into the plastic collection bag underneath the canister in that event. Thanks for the tip on that, though.

We got some serious rain here last week! The back room of our shop building where I work flooded; luckily nothing of value was damaged, but lots of water clean-up Tuesday morning...

There were low pockets around the area where buildings and some houses flooded, which is uncommon here. My house and property was fine, but there was a ton of water moving in the rivers, creeks and streams!

I am glad to hear you did not suffer from too much water damage, I know of several that were not so lucky their Automobiles were flooded, yes students paying their own way in life �� But could not afford Comp on their cars.
    hey that's life!

Lane, if I may ask, where did you get your 12" fan? I've been looking for one for a while.

The the new fan is from Rikon the 60-200. https://www.rikontools.com/manuals/60-200.pdf
    $108.00 total cost including shipping.
    Rikon part number Impeller C-5-4-2

Check out furnace repair places.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I would caution to use something with more diffuse pressure than compressed air if you have the Wynn with paper elements. I use an electric leaf blower. The paper elements on the Wynn are easily damaged and not easily repaired. The spun bond (I don't use) may be harder to damage.

In terms of knowing when to clean ... the manometer (located on the plenum that holds the filters) gives quick feedback on when to clean. Typically that is when I try to stretch the capacity of the cyclone waste bin and blow material into the filters (another two hours lost in my life).

If I were to guess on frequency ... it would be every two to three months.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 11-15-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius