Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visit from SMCer from Austrailia, and Guess the Wood

Visit from SMCer from Austrailia, and Guess the Wood

A gentleman brought me this piece of wood today, about 4" in diameter, 4" high, heavy. Can you guess what it is?

Hint: this ain't yer average chunk of TN wood.

Hint: the bark is hairy. Very hairy.

Hint: it has "oak" in the name but it's not an oak.

Hint: SMC member Richard Casey from the Australian tropics cut it, turned it round to reduce the weight, and carried it all the way from Australia in his suitcase.

Answer: Hairy Oak, allocasuarina inophloia, also known as woolly oak and stringybark she-oak, related to silky oak. http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...airy%20oak.htm

I had a great visit today from Richard as he drove around the US, stopping where he found interesting. He finds wood interesting. And drag racing. Maybe llamas. Richard lives about 1300 miles north of Sydney - Australia is HUGE.

Richard_Casey_IMG_20171031_110412_038.jpg

He packed this stash in his suitcase and must have forgotten to take it when he left:

australia_richard_IMG_7136.jpg

These are some incredible pieces of wood, some highly figured. From the left, three pieces of MSW (Maple Silk Wood), the Hairy Oak, a piece of ROS (Rose She-Oak), and one of QMP (Queensland Maple). I see some lidded boxes hiding in some of these!

Thank you Richard!

JKJ

Silky Oak, or Australian lacewood, Grevillea robusta, oh hairy silky oak, just a bit different. I was too quick on the trigger Haha.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-01-2017 at 2:08 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Congrats on the visit, John! I bet you both had a great time and you obviously ended up with some neat wood.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Nice score on the wood John. Sounds like you had a great visit.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Nice score on the wood John. Sounds like you had a great visit.
    I love shop and farm visitors (and visiting!) Hey, don't you live just a bit down the road? Need any turning wood? Maybe I'll invite myself to your place.

JKJ

Great story John.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I love shop and farm visitors (and visiting!) Hey, don't you live just a bit down the road? Need any turning wood? Maybe I'll invite myself to your place.

JKJ
    We probably live about an hour apart. Thanks for the wood offer but i'm pretty much covered up with it.
    Your welcome here anytime, just give me a shout sometime. Unfortunately I don't have any dried wood but can sure load you up with green.

that goes for me to John , Daryl lives north of me not to far .

Congrats on an international Creeker visit!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    We probably live about an hour apart. Thanks for the wood offer but i'm pretty much covered up with it.
    Your welcome here anytime, just give me a shout sometime. Unfortunately I don't have any dried wood but can sure load you up with green.
    All mine is dry or drying. Surely you could use a piece of ebony for a finial or something?! Dogwood, persimmon, holly, sassafras, ...? Even the other John Jordan, the "never turn dry wood" John, took a piece when he visited here recently!

It looks like a road trip to Moses and Privett country is in order! I used to drive down that way a lot for whitewater kayaking.

Frank Penta just talked me into going to the NC symposium this week end. (I think he's just looking for a relief demonstrator in the vendor area. ) Anyone reading this going?

JKJ

Some great looking wood and no it is not anything I have ever seen here in Tennessee. Richard thought he might be able to swing down to see me but couldn't on this trip. Maybe next time.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

The first piece is what the locals call "dead finish" because the critters that eat it end up dead!

Well presented JKJ, had a lovely day with you and your family.
    Sid, I hope to come your way next trip, it would be nice to catch up.
    Dick, that timber is definatly not Dead Finish, DF is an Acacia, Hairy Oak is a She-Oak.
    The photo gives the impression that it is porous, but it is totally solid.
    Kindest regards everyone,
    Richard.

Congratulations on the visit and "found" wood. A word of caution that the silky oak can cause a reaction similar to poison ivy for some - DAMHIK. The piece did look like some type of oak.

I remember a report of two fellows in Calif. --one killed and one hospitalized several years ago. They had purchased a log of silky oak or she oak?? and had severe reactions to it. Is my memory leaving as well? Any comments?