Thread: Gaggle of trivets

Gaggle of trivets

While waiting on glue to dry Saturday on a couple of projects I decided to make some trivets. The round spiral Maple trivet is the same one I posted a couple of weeks ago, along with the 'making of video', but the Walnut ones were just made. The spiral Walnut one is being picked up tomorrow by a friend who requested it.

The other two comprise an idea I have had and tried a few times Saturday to make them back to back as one trivet but it was just too dainty and once I had it in hand I decided it was just too busy (photo below next to the one I kept). Besides, I kept breaking it somewhere so instead of wasting more Walnut I just made two trivets with their own theme. Each are about 10" x 6" and 3/4" thick. The breaks in the border are to allow air to flow and the crosses are at two different levels for the same reason.

Broken trivet -
    005 - Broken.jpg

Collection -
    004 - 10-31-17.jpg

Enjoy!
    David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Nice looking trivets, David. I notice a theme there.

I have always avoided making trivets out of wood because of the (it seems to me clear) problem of introducing hot pans and dishes to a combustible material (or, at least it seems it would darken the wood). However, I know many woodworkers do it. Why is it not a problem ? Maybe I'll start making some trivets if it's not a problem.

Thanks, Yonak! Yes, I guess the theme is obvious - LOL! I first made a wooden trivet about 35 years ago and it never burnt or scalded. Back then I didn't know so I finished it in poly something or other but these are all 'finished' in mineral oil; maybe 'protected' is a better term. We use the Maple one I made a couple of weeks ago with no issues, even on something over 400° coming right out of the oven. I made one for my daughter and she's using it for stir fry and the like and I assure you she would let me know if it didn't hold up.

David

PS - music themed trivets coming soon!
    David

Very nice work, very intricate and with a theme. Appropriate as well, I understand Jesus worked with wood too!

Yep, my understanding, as well. Thanks for the comment! Did you see this one? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...crosses-trivet

David
    David