Thread: Precision router base plate - recommendations??

Precision router base plate - recommendations??

Looking for a precision router base plate for my Bosch 1617. One that take the Porter-Cable screw-in guides.

I was set on buying Pat Warner's kit ($63), but sadly, he passed away over the summer before I bought one. A couple of things I liked about Pat's were that it was thinker and 1" larger than the router base for added stability...

There are other 'mass produced' ones that look similar at half the price, but I'm not convinced the quality is anywhere near Pat's.

So... I'm looking for suggestions on a GOOD precision router base with centering capability and setup repeat-ability.

I have this one from Lee Valley and it has worked well for me. I don't know if it is precise enough for you, but I've never had a problem with it.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...000,51208&ap=1
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I have this one from Lee Valley and it has worked well for me. I don't know if it is precise enough for you, but I've never had a problem with it.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...000,51208&ap=1
    That one does look good. I just wish it was larger diameter. Thick. Made in the USA (a bonus). And from Lee Valley, so I know it's high quality.

Hi,
    Would you consider just making one? A good book called Router Magic by Bill Hylton really opened my eyes about the ease of making highly precise router base plates for all kinds of applications, in different sizes and shapes. Various base plate materials are available very inexpensively online. Just another idea to consider.

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    Would you consider just making one? A good book called Router Magic by Bill Hylton really opened my eyes about the ease of making highly precise router base plates for all kinds of applications, in different sizes and shapes. Various base plate materials are available very inexpensively online. Just another idea to consider.

Edwin
    No. I don't have precise enough tools to do it, plus it needs to be threaded for the screw-in inserts.

One thing I missed with the Lee Valley is that it doesn't have a centering pin included....

milescraft. @ lowes and home depot. has an insert that accepts porter cable guides

Quote Originally Posted by larry senen View Post
    milescraft. @ lowes and home depot. has an insert that accepts porter cable guides
    I don't want just any base. I want a precision one.

If you have someone nearby with a CNC router, you could have one made to your specifications.
    As far as I know, the base of the router doesn't need to be threaded for the Porter-Cable guide bushings.
    I had access to a CNC router, and I made some base plates for Stanley routers that used Porter-Cable bushings. I didn't have to thread the bases for them.
    Rick

Matt
    Contact Keith Outten here on the board.
    He can make you a base plate that has an accuracy specified by the LSD of the digital value and baud rate of his machine.

There are actually quite a few folks on the board that "dabble" in CNC systems. They can make what you are looking for quite easily.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-01-2017 at 9:47 PM.