Thread: Moravian workbench question

Moravian workbench question

I am thinking of making a Moravian workbench, to take to work sites. I'd like to make it short, about 5' long. I've googled to find out if it will work at this length, but I've found very little about the bench online. I read Ken Hatch's account of making the bench, but he seems to be maybe the only creeker who has done so and posted about it. I looked at the free downloadable plans Kevin Myers has made available, and his bench is 6' 4" long. Seems to me I can easily move the legs 16" closer together, but I also know that dimensions of objects have sometimes found their best working size, and I don't want to assume this balance can be radically changed with no consequences. Anyone want to chime in on this question?

Edit - my computer seems to be mangling some symbols in the post, so to clarify I want to make the benchtop 60 inches long, by 25 inches wide.
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 11-02-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Mark,

I'm not sure what your question is. If it is about stability and size, my bench is 565mm (22 1/4") wide with tool tray, 1715mm (67 1/2") long and is very stable for what it weights. It is also easy to break down and assemble.

ken

Hi Ken, yes my question is whether the bench will be stable at just 5' long. If you think it will be, that's good enough for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Hi Ken, yes my question is whether the bench will be stable at just 5' long. If you think it will be, that's good enough for me. Thanks.
    Mark,

You must have re-booted your computer, your question makes sense now . I hope you will document the build. My bench is now serving as a sharpening bench and I will build another for the motorhome soon.

kem

My bench is 60 inches long with 34.5" outside to outside legs, this leaves 12 of overhang on each side. At the time I was planning on installing a 9" Columbia face vise on the left front and I've got a QR face vise mounted on end for the tail vise.

There are times when planing or working that I'll tip the workbench. I store a lot of heavy things under it now to prevent this, a wood much heavier than pine might help. But I'd strongly consider not altering the wheelbase/length relationship. Or only take your length out of the non tail vise side of the top and leave the footprint alone.

I plan to build a Moravian bench as is for my next bench. Out of ash and poplar.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    My bench is 60 inches long with 34.5" outside to outside legs, this leaves 12 of overhang on each side. At the time I was planning on installing a 9" Columbia face vise on the left front and I've got a QR face vise mounted on end for the tail vise.

There are times when planing or working that I'll tip the workbench. I store a lot of heavy things under it now to prevent this, a wood much heavier than pine might help. But I'd strongly consider not altering the wheelbase/length relationship. Or only take your length out of the non tail vise side of the top and leave the footprint alone.

I plan to build a Moravian bench as is for my next bench. Out of ash and poplar.
    Trevor,

Is your current bench a Moravian base with extra width and over hang? That's very interesting because my much narrower Moravian bench has little tendency to tip. Your tipping problem could be from the overhang and/or from the weight outboard of the legs.

ken