Thread: Best laser to buy

Best laser to buy

Looking for a laser for my Woodturning shop. Engraving on curved items and also flat items.
    Have customs broker so can import from anywhere. But I know nothing except I would like a laser to engrave my items. Help pls., with your recommendations and hands on experience.
    also looking for a small cnc machine to cut and engrave.
    Is there such a thing as a combination unit?
    Last edited by Glenn Lefley; 11-02-2017 at 1:00 AM.

The laser/cnc combo units are dreadful, dust doesn't go well with laser optics.

Budget will be the deciding factor
    You did what !

I looked at the cnc/laser combo and like Dave mentioned they are dreadful. Super slow cnc side and the laser attachment was iffy to say the least. I was sort of in the same boat you were and I decided to purchase a used hobby machine (FSL) to start with. After all was said and done I had about $6k in a used hobby machine but it did the job. The word got out that I had a laser and my original use for the machine took a back seat and I went a different direction.

I quickly realized that the (FLS) hobby machine wasn't going to keep up with production, so I sold that machine and purchased a large ULS. It was considerably more than the hobby machine but will pay for itself quickly(fingers crossed).

If you are good at tinkering on things and you don't want to drop big money right out of the gate, then look at some of the hobby machines. If you are going to need alot of tech support and someone to service it for you, then I would recommend looking at one of the major brands and see who has a tech/salesmen in your area.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Lefley View Post
    Looking for a laser for my Woodturning shop. Engraving on curved items and also flat items.
    Have customs broker so can import from anywhere. But I know nothing except I would like a laser to engrave my items. Help pls., with your recommendations and hands on experience.
    also looking for a small cnc machine to cut and engrave.
    Is there such a thing as a combination unit?
    A Search on here will bring up hours of reading material. It has been discussed over and over many times.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Morning All
    For sure, questions as to which engraving machine to purchase have certainly been hashed ‘n rehashed! Still, for somebody just startin’ out - maybe, just discovering SMC? - it’s a fair question, uh? I can sure see where it might be a conundrum for many; deciding whether to invest $9K or less v.s. $20,000, or so. Still, I want' a share this short tale with you all.

Me. I kinda fell into this business; my son having bought an Epilog 35W some time ‘go, as a hobby, more, or less. Quickly realizing he didn’t have time for it. So, I bought the machine from him ‘n launched my “new” engraving business! And, for the past ten years, or so, not ‘week has passed I haven’t been thankful that my son had invested in the brand he did! (Learned later, he had considered imports.) Fact is: mechanically impaired as I am, had I experienced nothin’ but problems with a cheaper machine (as I often read ‘bout), chances are I would’ve thrown in the towel; found ‘nother livelihood! Even now, scares me to think ‘bout this, as I do so enjoy this business! - the difference in prices long forgotten! Good Day, all! BILL
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Good day
    There are a lot more experienced people on here, than me but i'll put my free ¢in
    If your able to be down for a week, or more, an your able to do all your own repairs, troubleshooting, an import laser might be an option,
    If your going to be out of business, if your laser doesn't work, or doesn't work properly go at least with something that has US customer service (presuming your from the US). Somebody that you can call an talk to.
    We have an older Epilog, and a newer import, since it is kinda a side line business we can be out for several days without it being a big problem.
    Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt

My Trotec is now 11 years old. I have lost 5 days of time in 11 years and that was to remanufacture the tube. The rotary device is dead on accurate and repeatable and has been my biggest money maker the last two years.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Which import Do you have. Mine is a side line business apart from my full time carpentry job, would like to get into it and see if a good fit for a retirement job. Have a after work Woodturning business that I would love to have a laser with a rotary attachment .

We have a Bodor, the main reason I went with Bodor is I have a relative that sells Laguna Tools and there lasers are Bodors,
    Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt