Thread: I'm finally ready to be a guinea pig!

I'm finally ready to be a guinea pig!

I finally did it. I found a Tykma 20 watt SPI/Vereo MOPA and pulled the trigger. It arrives on Tuesday and I couldn't be more stoked. Going to have a lot to learn but I'm excited to be joining the fray.

Any tips on learning hatching?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Put the eggs under a heat lamp?

Hatching is a tough one, SO many different ways to use. Trial and error, keep a log book on all the materials you try it on. Search on here will bring up some help, but its a lot of experience thing.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    New machine? Appears they have updated their software in the past few months. Was originally based on EzCad, and they were able to change some stuff, but while looking a while back, an updated version was a LOT different.
    Now might have been just for a different fiber as they offer a lot of different machines, but let us know..... get their pdf book and it will help you understand the hatching better. Links been posted several times here lately.

Go out and get a bunch of scrap metal, aluminum, steel, whatever, that will be similar to what you are going to use it on. And get to playing with it! Oh, the more I use mine, especially on logos and converted vector files, the more I understand they should be really clean of extraneous stuff. Makes a big difference on it hatching right or skipping areas. good files make for good engravings.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    New machine? Appears they have updated their software in the past few months. Was originally based on EzCad, and they were able to change some stuff, but while looking a while back, an updated version was a LOT different.
    Now might have been just for a different fiber as they offer a lot of different machines, but let us know..... get their pdf book and it will help you understand the hatching better. Links been posted several times here lately.

Go out and get a bunch of scrap metal, aluminum, steel, whatever, that will be similar to what you are going to use it on. And get to playing with it! Oh, the more I use mine, especially on logos and converted vector files, the more I understand they should be really clean of extraneous stuff. Makes a big difference on it hatching right or skipping areas. good files make for good engravings.

Very lightly used one (under 50 confirmed hours use). I appreciate the advice, I'll grab a bunch of scrap to practice on. I can't wait to start. The Speedy 300 is my wife's baby, and this one will be mine.
    Last edited by Jacob John; 11-03-2017 at 12:34 AM.
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Very lightly used one (under 50 confirmed hours use). I appreciate the advice, I'll grab a bunch of scrap to practice on. I can't wait to start. The Speedy 300 is my wife's baby, and this one will be mine.
    Looks like a beautiful machine, have fun and you will!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Looks like a beautiful machine, have fun and you will!
    Thanks Bill!
    CorelDraw X7

So I'm getting it tomorrow! Any tips/tricks on settings? I see that Tykma has a pdf with some limited settings, but does anyone have a more robust reference, or anyone willing to share their own?

I'm hoping I can easily pick up how to set it to mark vs engrave vs etch. Anywhere to suggest starting there too?
    CorelDraw X7