Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16” jointer question

Ive watched the 20" sicar for awhile and wondered why it never sold. I dont know the brand and the homemade euro guard is strange on an expensive machine, but still. I would love a 16"-20" machine, but i dont have the room or power in my basement shop. Plus, i really dont want to move the 12 out and immediately move a bigger machine in. I do look forward to the day when i have the space and power to upgrade.

Ryan, i would go used all day. So many great machines in good condition that pop up regularly. Woodweb has quite a few solid choices at the moment for under $5000. There was another martin t54 from texas a couple months ago for 11k, and it was 6-8 years younger than the current one listed.

For stand alone, felder has a "budget" line 16 inch joint, the hammer a341A. I have it and it hums really nice, zero vibration. Cost about 5k with a spiral head. Very quiet.

Sicar was a French company but the machines were Italian. I don't think they are still making any and the name has been bought by a Chinese company so the new Sicar are not like the old. If the tables and fence are flat, there isn't much to go wrong on a used jointer. 20" tends to be pretty rare compared to 16". Dave

Just noticed the Martin price includes shipping to Continental US (location with loading dock) ... in case that makes a difference.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Isn't the Matt that is selling the Martin jointer the same Matt that has been hunting several different Martin machines for a few years?
    He is/was looking for a jointer, shaper, and maybe even a planer at one point. Wonder what is wrong with it.
    Separate machines are the only way to go if you have space.

Peter, I think he flips some machines too. I've run into him a few times and have some stories. Dave

I have looked at the hammer models and still am. I have lots of options.

I looked at that Sicar in persona couple months ago. My boss was in the market for a new machine. Ended up with a 16” Casedai.

The sicar was a beast. Tables measured 118”. The machine was not very pretty and a little on the very used side. The tables had a fair amount of corrosion. Nothing that would effect performance but enough so you can tell the machine was not loved at all or used hard or both.

The gentleman my boss purchased the Casedai formreplaced it with the Martin fully loaded with bed extension and Souvamatic guard and all. I think he said he payed like 29K for it. Imop worth every last penny if I had so many..