Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16” jointer question

16” jointer question

I am in the market for a new jointer. I have an 8” powermatic with the helical head. I like the jointer but want a bigger one. I figure I might as well go to the 16”. I recently purchased a minimax SC4 elite and am really liking the European machines. I already have a jet 20” planer with a helical head. My question is should I get a combo machine or just a stand alone jointer like the minimax f41 or felder a941? And should I get the helical cutterhead for the jointer or stuck with straight blades?

If you're buying new and you're looking at high end well built machinery like SCM and Felder, you might as well get the combo. My guess is you won't be so happy with that 20" Jet after running boards across a monster jointer of that class.

I know you said new, but is an old iron one out of the question? I've got a 100 year old Crescent that I'd put up against anything made today. It took a bit of searching and a bit of rehab, but it's solid. Worth every hour I've got in it, but if you just want to buy one that's plug and play, there are plenty of machinery dealers out there who will sell you a fully restored one and ship it to your door.

Do you have space for all separates? I have combo machines, but I would much rather have all separates. If the Jet planer suites your fancy, why swap it out?

Buying new gives lots of options.

My most important considerations for a jointer for my needs would be length of table (especially infeed) and head/knife style. The quick change Tersa knives are a nice feature. I was shocked to see looking at the Felder that even on the smaller and less feature rich machines, long table lengths are offered even on the JP. For instance Felder offers up to 157" length on 410mm (16") machines which would be the longest table I'd ever seen. While Minimax at 86" is still a good length. One would want a well counterbalanced table on a machine that big! Some of the other features are dust collection hoods and the need to switch dust collection (Minimax doesn't require that) and electric height adjust on the planer with DRO readout and repeatability to 1/1000th". Roller setup and table rollers or extensions on the planer. Any special requirements like rabbetting ... my Powermatic did that but my Euro Combo does not. Noise considerations also might require you use a spiral head of some sort. Going from your current spiral to a straight knife, the sound level with dust extraction hooked up might shock you.

Older dedicated American jointers such as the Porter 300 or Oliver Patternmakers (and many others) can be beautiful machines, and for some folks they will work perfectly, especially if they have more modern heads or come with sharpeners. If your shop and workflow favor separate machines, then older used machines might be the perfect solution.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    If you're buying new and you're looking at high end well built machinery like SCM and Felder, you might as well get the combo. My guess is you won't be so happy with that 20" Jet after running boards across a monster jointer of that class.

I know you said new, but is an old iron one out of the question? I've got a 100 year old Crescent that I'd put up against anything made today. It took a bit of searching and a bit of rehab, but it's solid. Worth every hour I've got in it, but if you just want to buy one that's plug and play, there are plenty of machinery dealers out there who will sell you a fully restored one and ship it to your door.
    Quoted for absolute truth...YES!

I like my jet planer and have needed the 20” capacity several times. I don’t think I will get rid of that machine. I didn’t know if having the combo could give me a helical and straight knife planer as well as a bigger jointer. I have the space no problem I think. I just can’t decide if the extra money on combo is worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Pappas View Post
    I like my jet planer and have needed the 20” capacity several times. I don’t think I will get rid of that machine. I didn’t know if having the combo could give me a helical and straight knife planer as well as a bigger jointer. I have the space no problem I think. I just can’t decide if the extra money on combo is worth it to me.
    I am a huge fan of separate machines and multiples.

Depending on shop layout, aseaparate planer doesn't take up much room. If I didn't love my old Porter, I'd have a Tersa jointer for sure. Jointer heads get the most abuse from dirty gnarly stock so a spiral is less desireable in my world. Long, thick, heavily webbed tables are a joy to work with and there is no downside to never having to worry about adjustment once dialed in. Good condition SCMI, SAC, Sicar, etc can be found for 4000-6000 in Tersa, and about the same price for planers. I'd want more than 16" for a planer and while insert is nice, I still run a Tersa on my SAC 530. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Pappas View Post
    OP, are you thinking about a combo in addition to your existing planer? One thing to consider is the table length on combo J/P vs a standalone 16" jointer. With standalone, you will get longer tables, so it is easier to dial in longer boards. And personally, it bothers me to simply change thickness setting on the planer when I have one or two parts to run. Thinking about converting a combo machine back and forth just adds insult to injury for me. If I were you, I would just get a nice big single purpose machine in whatever flavor appeals to you.
    JR

There's a Martin T54 on Woodweb for sale right now if you want to go whole hog.

As for a combo machine, unless your space dictates you needing one, I wouldn't.

For 9K less, the Sicar 20" tersa is a pretty sweet deal. Dave

Man, that Martin is a nice machine. That would be the ulimate machine.

Both of those have nice long infeed tables and Tersa heads - pretty ideal machines from my perspective. Love the planing on the Martin. Unfortunately, neither are anywhere near Alabama. I've got to believe there is a nice Porter 300CM or Oliver 12 Pattern-maker sitting within 50 miles of you and under $2000. You'll just need to find it.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

The Oliver 166 is probably the better choice for someone not into OWWM. The 12 has draft capabilities and a very complicated bed structure to accomplish that. There is a lot to screw up with a 12 vs a 166 that is a pretty simple design. The only benefit to the newer jointers is the Tersa head. In most others ways, the old cast iron body jointers are superior. Dave

Unless you're a pattern maker, or know what you're doing, tou do not want a Pattern Maker's jointer. Or so says Jeff at Northfield.