Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: joining large boards

joining large boards

Im going to build my first dinner table.

Its going to concist of two oak boards of 2x20x79 inches.

Whats the best way to join those boards together ?

Is it important how I turn each board against each other ?

The oak is kiln dryed professionally so the moister content should be low.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Have the edges of the boards been run through a jointer or otherwise straightened? With kiln dried wood and 2" thick, you should be okay with selecting the 2 best faces. It is important to use glue that is fairly fresh and clamp it according to the directions on the container.

We would love to see pictures.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Lasse,

Many woodworkers recommend that the boards used to glue up a panel be alternating bark side up, bark side down. I don't think that there is any basis in fact for this, just a theory about how boards cup when they dry out. IF the boards cup the surface will be ugly no matter how you orient the annular rings. You can prevent this from happening with kiln dried lumber by finishing both sides identically.

I agree with David that you should pick the best faces and not worry about which way the annular rings are facing.What is more important IMO is that you be able to plane the surfaces flush after the panel has been glued up. In order to do this easily the grain must be rising in the same direction on both faces.

I also agree that the edges that you glue up should be jointed. There is a trick to this, if you will be doing it with a hand plane. Choose your sides and then fold them together like a book. The edges that will be glued together are the spine of the book. Align them as evenly as possible. Begin in the middle and plane to one end, then the other. You will be almost done when you are getting shavings from both boards. Then plane once along the whole length. Repeat as necessary to get a well-fitting joint.

Doug

Personally, I always choose the "display" view as the best face for each board, regardless of grain orientation, as Doug mentions. Presumably, you can compensate for any wood movement by construction technique of what supports the surface to insure it stays flat over time while still being able to move seasonally
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Since you are using only 2 boards, the growth ring orientation question is irrelevant. It is important with multiple boards but not this job.

Simply pick your best two faces and, as Doug says, ensure the grain is rising in the same direction on both boards. It will make planing and sanding much easier.

A simple butt joint and good glue is the best joint. If you wish you can add dowels, biscuits etc to help keep it aligned while clamping. I would be using resorcinol or epoxy glue. Cheers

Why rescorcinol or epoxy rather than wood glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    Im going to build my first dinner table.

Its going to concist of two oak boards of 2x20x79 inches.

Whats the best way to join those boards together ?

Is it important how I turn each board against each other ?

The oak is kiln dryed professionally so the moister content should be low.
    Hi Lasse

Is the oak rough sawn? If so, how do you plan to joint and thickness the boards?

I would prepare the boards as much as possible beforehand, and then glue together.

The boards can be butt jointed and glued without biscuits, dowels or dominos (I usually use Titebond hide glue - it does not affect finishes and cleans up with water).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    Why rescorcinol or epoxy rather than wood glue?
    I use epoxy for both red and white oak but it is alleged to be a poor adhesive for oak. Epoxy does have gap filling properties which neither resorcinol not aliphatic can claim. Resorcinol is exceptionally water and temperature resistant. It does have a long cure time and is dark colored. It requires exceptionally tight joints and strong clamping. Epoxy on the other hand requires the adhesive to fill the joint and should not be clamped tight. But then will leave a visible glue line, and coincidentally a glue line surface that may resist some (especially waterborne) finishes. Aliphatic glues work well with oak with minimal visibility. The aliphatic glues I use are all exceptionally acidic (who knew?) which - along with moisture and tannins - is I think why they tend to oxidize the shafts of many clamps (keep clamps from contacting wood). Not sure which glue I'd use ... probably the epoxy or aliphatic.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I like slow setting epoxy because it give a lot of time to clamp and set things.

I like using dominos, dowels, or biscuits on thick tops to help with alignment.

Use cauls to achieve even pressure along the whole length.

I orient for visual appeal. However I also take into account grain direction. I find the easiest way to flatten and level the seam and final panel is with a hand plane. Orienting for the same grain direction makes this easier at the seam.

I don't pay attention to the alternating growth ring orientation. On wide slab glue ups, you don't have enough boards for it to make sense even in theory. For narrow boards, it is easier and more advisable to select boards that are stable. This usually means picking things away from the crown of the curve. This has also the beneficial effect of facilitating grain matching.

Generally it will have a better appearance if the annular ring orientation is the same. Unless you can create near perfect joints, I'd use epoxy glue.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Titebond glue or whatever you have that's similar. No need to do anything fancy. The only requirement is that the two edges mate well - gap free, and you use enough clamps to keep the joint tight while the glue dries.

John

Titebond etc creep during polishing and over time. That's why I recommend epoxy or resorcinol

They are rough sawn.

I will most likely be using a jointer and then a thicknesser. The more I think about it, the more I think I will use dowels to keep the boards aligned and spacers on the dowels to keep a small space between the boards. It will look better I think, than gluing it up to one board.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    They are rough sawn.

I will most likely be using a jointer and then a thicknesser. The more I think about it, the more I think I will use dowels to keep the boards aligned and spacers on the dowels to keep a small space between the boards. It will look better I think, than gluing it up to one board.
    So the boards won't actually touch, so you will not really be gluing them together. You will, however, have dowels connecting the two boards.....

My first thought is..... do you really need to connect them at all if you want a gap? I would be worried about the strength of the dowels holding the joint together when you move the table. To avoid this, you will attach the top to a base and those dowels will still be visible.

I would have people who have done split tops comment on how they handled this. I am not saying don't do it, I am saying get more information first.

Blog Entries
    If this is a dinning table and you are leaving a crack in the middle what happens if something gets spilled on the table and runs into the crack? How do you clean the surfaces and dowels? Will the table top set on a base of some type or will the dowels be supporting the weight of the top plus all the dishes and such that will be placed on the table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute