Thread: Made a Mistake with WOP

Made a Mistake with WOP

I was working finishing some flutes in shop.I had some wop left in a rag and wasnt thinking but put it on a flute I was going to experiment on with some transtint dye...(Im not a fan a tinting but was going to try) It was only a very lite coat.Just a light coat in a smallish 2" by 2" rage.I put this on the piece of poplar and went onto to other things.I thought about it later as I was cutting grass.....I then wiped the flute down with acetone and then with mineral spirits and then again with acetone./I will sand again thru several grits and then maybe I can try the transtint.Guess there is any wop left on to make a mess of the transtint dye??

Ok...do tell...what are you referring to as 'wop'?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do Tell....finishing ..wipe on poly?

You can't do much more. I would've sanded first though. Adding solvent tends to drive some of the material into the timber, especially soft timber. Sanding first cuts the coating layer off.

Try the dye and see what happens. You might get a different effect that is still acceptable.

And yes I assumed wipe on poly. The abbreviation is a grossly racist slur in my culture otherwise so the only possible interpretation was wipe on poly. Let us know what happens. Cheers

Yes it is wipe on poly....It was a very very light amount put on...It was just what was left in a small cloth after applying the finish to some others. And I said ah I might as well put a little dab on here and didnt think about that flute until later.... Duhhhhhhhh lol I think it will probably be acceptable....will see...Thanks !!