Thread: Laguna Monoframe 20" planer

Blog Entries

Laguna Monoframe 20" planer

Anyone have this? Appreciate your feedback/comments.

I have found pretty much only this one when it comes to the industrial type 'heavy duty' 20" planers in single phase. Any others out there in a similar price range?

I spoke with Felder/SCM they're 3 phase only for all of their 520mm planers.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have an older version of the 20" Griz 1033ZX and it looks a lot like the Laguna 20". 5 hp single ph, shelix head. Has been a great machine for my hobby use milling lots of rough stock. Worth a look!!

Blog Entries
    John, I can't seem to find any info on the 1033ZX, but the 1033x is a four poster, is the ZX cast iron sides with gibs? The only one I've seen like that by grizzly is pretty much identically priced to the laguna.

Blog Entries
    Seems like no one owns this, happy to open this to experience with similar planers. I'd rather buy SCM/Felder but neither really has anything without going three phase. I've looked into 3 phase converters and so forth, for one-two machines I'd rather stick with single phase.

So anyways industrial quality single phase is what I'm after, any suggestions appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    So anyways industrial quality single phase is what I'm after, any suggestions appreciated.
    You have a contradiction in terms.

You're likely going to have to sacrifice one of your criteria. Either the single phase or the industrial. A vfd for a smaller motor isn't real expensive.

I might be talking put my rear, but I think you can special order some of the Felder products that are typically 3ph in 1ph. Might not apply for their planers though.

Northfield you can likely get a single phase motor as well come to think of it, but their two smaller planers are 18" and 25". I doubt they'd sell a 25" with a 7½hp motor

$1500 gets you into a RPC and a VFD will likely be under 500. I'd go rpc and forget single phase. Opens up so many options. Felder, SCM, SAC, Casadei, etc can be found new or used. With a little looking you can get both the rpc and a tersa Euro planer for the cost of the Laguna. Dave

Powermatic 201 model 1791261 . I own that same planer in 5hp delta grey. 7.5hp 1ph

http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/p/20...h-230v/1791261
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi Brian,
    I think the X version is very similar to the one I have. The 0454X looks like the same machine as well. I have compared them at the showroom and it's hard to tell the difference between the "mechanicals" of the different models. Four poster, not sure about gibs??. These are shelix heads with inserts--thought gibs were to hold straight blades. The 5hp has plenty of power for milling out full width maple and cherry slabs so not sure of benefit of 3ph, particularly if you need to invest in electrical upgrade. I had a Parks 12"er and with freshly sharpened blades the finish was better than I get with the carbide cutters, but I haven't rotated them in a couple of years and several K bf of rough stock. Good luck shopping.

Brian, Minimax has a jointer/planer combo the FS 52 Elite S, its a 520mm j/p with a four knive Tersa head that can be ordered with a single phase motor. I had talked to Eric Loza about the machine about a year ago, I believe it’s a special order machine only. I know you were interested in a large planer, but sooner or later one is going to need a large jointer to go with that 520mm planer..

FWIW, I am not so sure that I wouldn’t buy the machine I really wanted just because it’s three phase.. The reason I was inquiring about the FS52 Elite S, is my current shop just doesnt have the space for large separates.
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 11-04-2017 at 9:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gents, I very much appreciate the comments.

Truly, I should simply bite the bullet and get the RPC then be done with this internal struggle. I want industrial type machinery and would open up a much larger market by being able to handle three phase.

Robert, I've considered that machine but I understand it only comes in 3 phase. The jointer can be had in single phase but the combo only three phase.

I posted the link below so people can see which planer you are speaking about.

https://lagunatools.com/classic-mach...e-planer-75hp/