Thread: Old Marine Grade Poly

Old Marine Grade Poly

I have a quart of WoodKote Marine Extreme Poly that is unopened but dates back to 1988. It has not jelled in the can. My question is do the experts believe it is still usable? It is left from a house we had built back at that time frame.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Assuming it is a clear, high VOC, and called "marine" on account of UV stabilizers. Testing is the best bet. No harm in doing that unless you have a very specific window in which to complete this job. If timing were critical I'd opt for a more modern solution more specific to the needs of your job.

I looked up Wood Kote's modern solutions and their Flagship (and Ultra Flagship) UV 450 & 275 are rated for above waterline use, but I have no idea if that is the same product they produced 40 years ago. The spec sheets give no indication of expected can life.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Assuming it is a clear, high VOC, and called "marine" on account of UV stabilizers. Testing is the best bet. No harm in doing that unless you have a very specific window in which to complete this job. If timing were critical I'd opt for a more modern solution more specific to the needs of your job.

I looked up Wood Kote's modern solutions and their Flagship (and Ultra Flagship) UV 450 & 275 are rated for above waterline use, but I have no idea if that is the same product they produced 40 years ago. The spec sheets give no indication of expected can life.
    I have no specific window for the job. I want to use it on an outdoor oak porch swing. I will be applying indoors over the winter.
    George

Is there enough in the can to finish the job started? With plenty of time I would just get a cheap brush and test. Since you'll be doing the work indoors the odor may be the deciding factor and doing a small test will tease out if the odor is objectionable.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

No. The resins are 29 years old. They will have started to degrade. By all means use it for sealing underneath a table top or similar, but not something that matters. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I have no specific window for the job. I want to use it on an outdoor oak porch swing. I will be applying indoors over the winter.
    Why put any finish on it? My grand father had a white Oak porch swing on his porch that was unfinished and it has lasted for over 75 years. In the winter he would raise it up to the porch ceiling out of the way, but it stayed outside. It is now out doors at my sister's house in the weather all summer and only last year did the seat boards get bad enough to be replaced.

This swing I made over 20 years ago for my In-laws and it has been outside every year all summer long with no finish applied. It is made of western red cedar. I pressure wash it periodically to clean it up since it came to live at my home.
    swing.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-06-2017 at 4:32 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

LOF wants it finished.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    LOF wants it finished.
    The problem with using a film finish on things outdoors is that you'll be stripping and re-finishing it over and over every few years. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...