Thread: Question about burning grooves

Question about burning grooves

I turned this bowl and plate and I'd like to burn the grooves in the plate to match the ones in the bowl. A wire of course won't work for this. Any suggestions? (recess still exists on both)

platter2.JPG

Pick up some formica counter top samples from the home store and use the corner of one if it's to thick sand it to the thickness you need.

If you have finish on the plate, then brushing in and wiping off some black/brown acrylic paint will also work.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    If you have finish on the plate, then brushing in and wiping off some black/brown acrylic paint will also work.
    Thanks John. It's Deft sanding sealer and Minwax paste wax. Would it work with that finish?

Without personally inspecting the piece, it isn’t possible to say. You need enough finish around and in the grooves to assure that the paint will not bleed into the surrounding wood and so paint outside the grooves can be safely and cleanly wiped off with a damp cloth before it dries. I only use this method after enough finish to fill the pores and seal the surface.

Left click my name for homepage link.

+1 with Ted.