Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's see them!

In the middle of a remodel, installing some stained glass panels in a window opening. The panels are trapped between two sets of cleats, behind and in front of the panel. Here I am cutting the cleats
    Bench 2017-11.jpg
    Using my reliable M-F Langdon Acme miter box (somewhat overkill for 1/2" by 1/2" cleats, but I don't have a smaller one). Sanding block to clean off the splinters and fuzz from the cuts. Marking gauge, 4" double square, and scratch awl to lay out locations for screw holes (done on a drill press). Hand countersink to countersink holes after drilling.

Detritus from other projects shoved to the back of the bench, and to add character to the shot.

The reason for this little thread....is because too many benches look like living room furniture, than just something to get a job done on. Seen a lot of beautiful benches....that I'd be afraid to use, lest I mar that perfect surface. All very nice to show off your skills at building a bench....but, look at the old benches, and how much they have weathered over the decades of use. The good ones are still around, the bad ones fall apart long ago.

Look at those old benches as "veterans" in the "war" against raw lumber. Their task was to help the craftsman build whatever "Masterpiece" he needed made, to put food on his table.

keep the photos coming, showing your workhorse in action....Whether it be a piece of fine furniture, or a plank between a pair of sawhorses.....some have even used a wooden porch rail as a work bench.

Hey Steven,
    Funny you mention benches looking like furniture and never used. I was watching a couple videos with Tage Frid and Frank Klausz today, both well known for articles, plans, and pictures of their furniture quality workbenches. Thing is, in their videos, the actual benches they use are as beat to h#ll as my benches, full of chisel marks, stains, and scraped glue.

Anyway, my assembly bench with a mission desk in progress. Gluing up the rails and stiles. The newspaper and kraft paper covers the stains on the formica top. The Frid style cabinetmaker's bench to the right (not seen) has the rest of the stock on it, waiting to be glued up.

mission_desk1.jpg

Keep it coming! Does my heart good.

not a great picture, but here's mine with a few parts of a dining room table that's currently in progress
    bench.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

new bench, on which I made the last missing pieces:

ripping the track for the sliding deadman:

IMG_1424.jpg

and trimming the deadman to fit:

IMG_1425.jpg