Thread: lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

I have an older Robland jointer-planer. The planer table moves up and down, supported by a large central column, driven by an acme thread. It is becoming squeeky and a bit rough when I move it, clearly needing lubrication. The question is what is the appropriate lubricant for the acme thread? I'm concerned that using a grease like Lubriplate will get the thread gunked up with sawdust. Do folks have other suggestions for this purpose? Thanks.
    -Howard

I've used the anti seize type stuff on several old jointers when I've had to pull down and adjust them. Never seen any get any routine lube. The stuff seems to hold up well and make tiny outfeed table adjustments smooth and non popping.

My MiniMax manual says to apply a small amount of grease, monthly!, to the column and the acme thread. I greased both, sparingly, when I put it back together 2 years ago; haven't touched it since and all seems fine. If you are worried about sawdust gunking up the acme thread then use paraffin, like many do with the trunions and acme threads inside a TS. Triflow works pretty well, too, used sparingly. I think you would need to remove the grease first for either of those approaches.

John

Do not use silicone as it may contaminate wood for finishing. I would use dry teflon or graphite suspended in alcohol.
    B

I use 3-1 oil on a rag and wipe down the parts on my planer. Don't have an issues with sawdust sticking.
    Don

Grease. Sawdust sticking to it is a good thing.

Do not use anti seize. It's grease mixed with pulverized glass. Intended to prevent threads from rusting together, not for operational threads.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 11-05-2017 at 4:18 PM.

Thanks Martin . Most interesting !

Looks like the one I've been using is okay ,but a careful reading of the label type is needed

I've used spray 'teflon' for convenience. Paste wax (non silicone) has been a favorite for years.

Hi, the manual for my J/P lists grease as the lubricant, I've been using it for 9 years without issue, same for the column on my shaper.........Rod.

I like to use a dry bicycle chain lube for applications like this.

Thanks everyone!
    Howard