Thread: At the North Carolina woodturning symposium

At the North Carolina woodturning symposium

I've met some wonderful people this week at the NC symposium and caught up with some old friends! I spent way too much money and got too many new ideas to take up my spare time! I won a great block of Katalox in a drawing - I've never even seen that wood before. (Janka Hardness: 3,660!)

There are some amazing turners and artists here - quite inspiring. I was especially impressed by Graeme Priddle and Melissa Engler and the ways they used carving, burning, color and more on wood surfaces. Incredible in both design and execution. Here they are with the other John Jordan showing off photos of his new grandbaby, the cutest baby in the world - just ask him! They went home with genuine JKJ magic wands guaranteed to solve all their problems. (not!)

NC_symposium_JJ_n_Priddle.jpg

I went a little early to visit Frank Penta and play in his shop before the symposium. Frank continues to do creative things with small pieces of wood combined in unique ways. He brought a small lathe to the vendor's area for impromptu demos and even let me turn a little on it.

NC_symposium_FrankPenta_n_JKJ.jpg

The opportunities to go broke were all around. Ruth Niles was there with new bottle stopper designs. J. Jordan and Doug Thompson (and others) were selling tools. World Timbers brought a truckload of exotic turning blanks at fire-sale prices, and Sauers Veneers have some tempting veneer including beautiful birdseye maple. Other vendors brought huge stocks of highly figured maple, ambrosia maple, and burls.

So far I somehow resisted buying new shiny tools and artist's turnings in the gallery. Well, the symposium is not over yet...

JKJ

Wow! Thanks for sharing your experiences so far! Sure looks like fun! Looking forward to seeing what new things you turn as a result of all that positive influence!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Wow! Thanks for sharing your experiences so far! Sure looks like fun! Looking forward to seeing what new things you turn as a result of all that positive influence!!
    Yikes, the pressure is on! It may take a while with my usual once-a-month or so shop time! Turner/artist Steve Criscenzo already told me he is expecting to see something incredible from me - Steve brought me an antique glass float from his last trip to the Marshall Islands, Kwajalcin Atoll. It's colored glass about 4" in diameter - I'll have to start making sketches! My love of carving has been doubled by some of the things I saw from Priddle and wife so maybe I can use that.

January is the TAW symposium. I like to go to it since it is just 3 hrs away. In fact before this trip the TAW was the only symposium I've ever attended. I'm glad I'm not loaded with money and spare time - this symposium stuff could get addictive!

JKJ

Hope to see you at the TAW

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Hope to see you at the TAW
    Yes! Maybe we could plan a get-together, maybe at lunch one day. Every year I meet more people I've talked to on forums but it's often by accidentally running into them and recognizing the name.

JKJ