Thread: Quarter sawn spruce

Quarter sawn spruce

Does anyone have a source for quartersawn spruce? I’m looking for actual lumber, rough sawn, rather than the thin and small peices sold by hobby sites and luthier suppliers. I’m in NJ and haven’t had any luck at any of my “nearby” lumber suppliers either.

Blog Entries
    Willard has AYC which maybe is a substitute?? Otherwise I would contact Boro and ask them, they specialize in softwoods but typically sell bulk commercially.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I've occasionally find large spruce boards at the lumber yard where the slab passes through the center of the tree. Cut out the middle and you have quartersawn spruce. Failing that, you could check tonewood suppliers, but expect to pay a premium.

I agree with Brian...check with Willard Brothers in Trenton and see if they can source. If not, talk with Hearne Hardwoods.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys, hopefully I can track some down

Blog Entries
    Dan, actually I think Niece in Lambertville has fairly tightly grained spruce, in the form of construction lumber but IIRC pretty good quality.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Try Maurice Condon. I've been buying quarter sawn spruce from them for years. They're in White Plains, NY, 10 minutes from the Tappan Zee Bridge.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

If you aren't hepped up on spruce, you may have better luck finding "vertical grain douglas fir". The soft woods are sometimes sold as 'vg' instead of 'quartersawn'

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Dan, actually I think Niece in Lambertville has fairly tightly grained spruce, in the form of construction lumber but IIRC pretty good quality.
    Another good suggestion
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...