Thread: Rochester, NY

Rochester, NY

I値 be staying in the Fairport area the 2nd and 3rd weeks of May 2018. I will have lot痴 of time on my hands as my wife will be visiting friends and relatives. Are there any woodwoking venues I should checkout while I知 there? I知 not familiar with the area.

I went to high school in Fairport and still have family there. Unfortunately, I moved away before getting into woodworking, so I can't help much for those types of spots. Stickley has a museum and factory in the Syracuse area which is about an hour east. There is a Stickley store at Eastview mall (the next town over from Fairport). If you're into veneer, Certainly Wood is a little over an hour west in the Buffalo area. It's on my list if I ever find time on a trip back home. I'm curious to see what else is in the area.
    Dan

See the George Eastman Photo Museum. I too reccomend the side trip to Syracuse. See the Niagra Mohawk building, a most exuberant Art Deco icon. Every time I see it, I expect to see SUPERMAN flying over .

Thanks for the tip!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Smith View Post
    I went to high school in Fairport and still have family there. Unfortunately, I moved away before getting into woodworking, so I can't help much for those types of spots. Stickley has a museum and factory in the Syracuse area which is about an hour east. There is a Stickley store at Eastview mall (the next town over from Fairport). If you're into veneer, Certainly Wood is a little over an hour west in the Buffalo area. It's on my list if I ever find time on a trip back home. I'm curious to see what else is in the area.

Put them on my list. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    See the George Eastman Photo Museum. I too reccomend the side trip to Syracuse. See the Niagra Mohawk building, a most exuberant Art Deco icon. Every time I see it, I expect to see SUPERMAN flying over .
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-06-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    The Stickley Factory is just 2 hours away in Manlius NY. They have factory tours, but I'm not sure of the times.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Just saw that we are expecting snow next week. It is not something I would recommend.

Sounds good

Snow?? Ohboh

Fear not, the snow will be gone by May, probably. I took the Stickley factory tour a few months ago. It's at 10 AM every Tuesday, but check their website as it may change. If you want to see production woodworking it's a great tour. If you want to see small shop, hand work, don't bother. The Genesee Country Museum is in Mumford, just 20 miles S. of Rochester and well worth a half day or more if you like working, open air museums from the 1700 and 1800's; this one is the largest in NYS. Niagara Falls is only 80 miles to the W. of Rochester and definitely worth a trip if you have never seen it.

John