Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use both 4 in ports at the same time on a 2hp dust collector

Use both 4 in ports at the same time on a 2hp dust collector

I have a grizzly 2 hp dust collector with a 6in inlet and the plastic wye with two 4in ports. I have bunch of 4in hose that I got from someone else and wondering if any uses both 4in ports at the same time with any success. If so, any suggestions besides upgrading to 6in. I will soon upgrade , just been pricing it out and so I need design and come up with cash to buy all the parts. I figure in the mean time I would use both ports instead of the standard single 4in hose setup. I know it’s not practical, just wondering if anyone as attempted this.

I used to have a General single stage DC with a splitter like that. I don't think it will work as well as just having a single 4" run. I ended up taking that splitter off and using 6" to a separator, then 4" after that.

Blog Entries
    I have a 2 hp cyclone with a (reduced to) 6 inch main. I routinely run more than one 4 inch gate open at a time without issue.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you for the feedback

So, you have a dust collector and want to run two 4" hoses. You probably will decrease the flow by half compared to using one hose. If that is sufficient for your needs, then it is fine.

I was at a Woodcraft DC free class a few months ago. What I learned is if you are using a 6 inch main with 4 inch at the tools then it is best to run 2 4 inch open ends rather than 1. You will not get enough flow for the 6 inch main only running 1 4 inch opening.

Using any flex hose kills air flow by large amounts, using two would do that even better.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Will adequately gather chips and larger particles of saw dust. I run two short 4" pipes to my bandsaw. From all that I've read regarding fine dust, most 2 HP configurations don't move enough air.

Mr Faulkner brings up a very fine point!
    what is it you want to do? Remove the chips or or the fine dust that you can not see that does the most damage to your health?
    when we look at it that way we most like say both! However if you want to protect your health you need lots of airflow to remove the fine dust. More than what you need to move the chips. Regarding 2 hp that depends on several factors who's
    2 HP Harbor Freight? It ain't 2 hp. If it is not good!
    what is your Altitude? Air density has a lot do do with how much airflow you need to do the job.
    It is a fine balance for dust control between available airflow and air velocity to to evacuate fine dust particles from a machine. Chips not so much of a problem as long as you have adquite velocity to suspend the chips all the way to the collector.
    then you have to consider how much air can the blower handle with two gates open?
    Lots to consider.

I'm a little late to the party, but I also use both 4" ports of my Jet DC1100. It's not ideal, and is a definite compromise for dust collection, but it works, sort of okay.

My next major investment has to be some type of a cyclone. But I need one that isn't so tall, due to the low ceilings I have to work with.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    I was at a Woodcraft DC free class a few months ago. What I learned is if you are using a 6 inch main with 4 inch at the tools then it is best to run 2 4 inch open ends rather than 1. You will not get enough flow for the 6 inch main only running 1 4 inch opening.
    Don't know what was shown at this class, but I am running a 2hp with 6" mains with one 4" at the tools at a time. I certainly get enough flow to take all chips and dust collected to the SDD.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    This. Mine is a lot bigger but I blow outside so I can see how different things affect flow. If I am running say the six inch at the planer I will open up the four at the jointer that is the other side of the last wye before the planer. By doing this I am throwing the sawdust about four feet farther, with no problems at the planer.

On your blower I have no idea, but just saying.........

Also, when I first moved the shop and was temporarily dragging around a 6" long flex hose my planer would clog, all the same other than ducting. Flex definitely cuts flow.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 12-10-2017 at 9:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    This. Mine is a lot bigger but I blow outside so I can see how different things affect flow. If I am running say the six inch at the planer I will open up the four at the jointer that is the other side of the last wye before the planer. By doing this I am throwing the sawdust about four feet farther, with no problems at the planer.

On your blower I have no idea, but just saying.........

Also, when I first moved the shop and was temporarily dragging around a 6" long flex hose my planer would clog, all the same other than ducting. Flex definitely cuts flow.
    I can only speak to my own situation. I have used an anemometer to measure air flow with one 4" port open, and with two 4" ports open. Both, of course, using the 6" mains. More air flow with just one open than with two. I have no build up of chips or dust of any kind in my system. These are facts, not speculation or theory, however, I have observed only my own system.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    I can only speak to my own situation. I have used an anemometer to measure air flow with one 4" port open, and with two 4" ports open. Both, of course, using the 6" mains. More air flow with just one open than with two.
    That would be a measure of speed, not volume, wouldn't it? Any time you narrow an opening it will increase velocity, but the amount of air moving through it will not increase. From what I've been reading, it's not the speed as much as it's the combination of speed and the amount (volume) of air that keeps things suspended and moving. If there's not enough to keep it suspended in the airstream, it can drop out and create eddies and be far less efficient at keeping the fine stuff moving along. Anything not moving will create drag and slow things further, though it may not be evident at the port until it's severe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    I can only speak to my own situation. I have used an anemometer to measure air flow with one 4" port open, and with two 4" ports open. Both, of course, using the 6" mains. More air flow with just one open than with two. I have no build up of chips or dust of any kind in my system. These are facts, not speculation or theory, however, I have observed only my own system.

You will have more air flow at the opening of the 4", but less at the exit of the 6".