Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone use black wood filler?

anyone use black wood filler?

I'm building a barn door out of old reclaimed wood has some bug holes and I think it would be neat looking to use a black filler on them for contrast. Do you stain before using it? poly? I've always tried to blend my filler with the wood so I'm at a loss here

I have never used black, but what kind of wood filler are you using? I have only used wood filler before applying finish. If I finished first, then I would have finish (poly, or what ever) in the hole to finish, and I would expect that to keep the filler from adhering and staying in place.

With contrasting fillers, I typically put down a coat of shellac first. It helps prevent the filler from staining the wood.
    Dan

I use clear 5 minute epoxy after 2 clear coats - usually poly

I just read an article (I think it is in the current issue of Fine Woodworking) about using charcoal (crushed up) to make dark filler that looks like pitch. I've never tried it, but it sounded kind of cool.

West Systems epoxy with a couple of drops of black Transtint dye.

I just bought some black, chalk line, chalk on line. Mixed it with glue and applied to the void.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    West Systems epoxy with a couple of drops of black Transtint dye.
    I agree with Bill, done this and works great.

Are the bugs gone?

Blog Entries
    I'm another dye and epoxy guy.

Dog Bed Frame (16).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've used epoxy with Transtint dye before on larger gaps/holes. I also use Timbermate black wood filler. It fills well, dries quick and sands off easily. Faster fix than epoxy (especially the sanding part).

Jim

Ive found that ebony analine dyes effect the epoxy negatively in that it takes longer to cure. I simply scrape black charcoal from an arts and craft store and mix it into the epoxy with no ill effects.

Whichever filler used, seal the timber first as Daniel said. Do this with any contrasting filler. It saves a lot of grief.

Also, be wary of adding random solvents to epoxy. It does affect curing and durability. An inert pigment is best if going down this track. Cheers

I have been using bondo for wood filler, as it is a permanent fix. Have not found a good dye, but just sand it flat, and before finishing apply some paint or color with a sharpie. Found that Walmart sells it by the gallon.

+1 on bondo and chalkline chalk. I've used bondo with black chalkline chalk to do this. I also mixed in blue and red chalks to help color match streaks on a big blue pine, live edge bar top for a customer.