Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3520b going up in price??

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    ...One of my students wanted a new lathe so I told him about the Grizzly G0766 which he bought. It is OK but it is not a 3520b by any stretch of the imagination. After a few weeks something started ticking and it got so loud he was afraid to run it. After a week or so Grizzly had him take it apart a fix a problem that was not put together properly. He told me that is why they can sell them so cheap because they get free labor to fix them
    I know Grizzly has a big following and many of their machines work well with no issues and that's great. But I have heard some of the other stories. This came from a gentleman from another forum. Larry C wrote: "I took a course on woodworking machine maintenance at the local community college. ... We wound up unboxing and assembling three new jointer/planer machines - a Delta, a Grizzly, and a Jet. They were all clearly made on the same Asian assembly line with slightly different specs, mostly color and fit and finish details. The Jet was ready to go out of the crate, well tuned, flat, etc. Delta was close. The Grizzly took several hours to work off burrs, adjust and shim for flatness, etc. So one data point on the issue.
    " To be fair, he didn't mention when this was - recently or decades ago. Things change with manufacturers, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

JKJ

I have been waiting on this, now I can sell mine, I just recently got an American Beauty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    I have been waiting on this, now I can sell mine, I just recently got an American Beauty
    Now that’s just mean

I hemmed and hawed on a sander for so long that the price went up higher than I was willing to pay and I bought an inferior unit. Lesson learned, now if there is something I know I’m going to get, I just watch carefully for a good price and buy it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lol, I wonder why they put them in the catalog though and not their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stadler View Post
    Lol, I wonder why they put them in the catalog though and not their website.
    Wishful thinking at the time they sent the copy for the catalog?

I think it's kind of funny that now that the 3520 C is on the horizon that the 3520b has gone up to $1,000
    Nope. MSRP is almost the same, went from 3,999 to 4,081, but those are places with "free shipping", so they could just be stuffing the shipping into the price. The 3520C is listed in Craft Supplies catalog with "call for price". IF they've gotten their floor model in I'll likely be getting eyes on it in a couple hours. Keep in mind that Powermatic ran their 20% off promotion on the 3520B a few months ago, which is why the price got down as low as it did. Why did they do that? My guess is to clear out existing inventory before the 3520C showed up.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

The fact that catalog information on the lathe is currently available is not surprising. The 3520C is expected to arrive sometime in December. It will not be available for the Black Friday sale

So, they (CSUSA) haven't swapped the C for the B on the floor yet, so I haven't seen the C.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I am ready to pull the trigger on a larger lathe. With 3520c over $4K then the Oneway becomes a major contender. Any ideas one way or the other would be appreciated.

Jeff, I think you would get better responses with a new thread.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Well,I went ahead and did it and purchased the 3520C. I've always enjoyed working with my older Powermatic equipment, they just seem to be built solid and endure whatever i throw at them so the longevity of these tools are a plus for me

Well,I went ahead and did it and purchased the 3520C.
    When you get it: photos! impressions!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    When you get it: photos! impressions!

JKJ
    Yes sir, well it will be my first powermatic lathe and will definitely top anything I ever had . The trees are starting to look like bowls again, lol. I'm excited.