Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3520b going up in price??

3520b going up in price??

I think it's kind of funny that now that the 3520 C is on the horizon that the 3520b has gone up to $1,000

Has it actually gone up in price, or have all the legitimate retailers selling it just disappeared?

Presumably that's because powermatic has stopped shipping them.

I don't mind if they raise the price, though. I've already got mine, as the kids say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Has it actually gone up in price, or have all the legitimate retailers selling it just disappeared?

Presumably that's because powermatic has stopped shipping them.

I don't mind if they raise the price, though. I've already got mine, as the kids say.
    Well, ive been looking at them the last month now and seen anywhere from 3800.00 to 3900.00 and looked today and cheapest i could find was 4900.00

Rockler had them for 3100.00 a few months ago. Look to see if Powermatic is offering and deals for Black Friday. The usually have 10% off. I got mine last year at that time for 3500.00.
    Don

ok, thanks

The new 3520c has replaced the b model and is available for $4500 right now from Packard's catalog with free shipping. It has a number of upgraded features.

3520c

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    The new 3520c has replaced the b model and is available for $4500 right now from Packard's catalog with free shipping. It has a number of upgraded features.
    Has anyone here bought or turned on the new PM model?

JKJ

It's an interesting question. With the well received reviews from owners of the new Laguna's and Grizzly's, it seems strange that Powermatic (now another Chinese brand) would raise the price of their 'old' model when both models are under siege from what are close to comparable machines in usage and far more so in costs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    It's an interesting question. With the well received reviews from owners of the new Laguna's and Grizzly's, it seems strange that Powermatic (now another Chinese brand) would raise the price of their 'old' model when both models are under siege from what are close to comparable machines in usage and far more so in costs.
    John, as an owner of the Laguna Revo 1836, I agree! With the bed extension I can do as much or more on my lathe than I can do on a PM 3520b, and for considerably less money. Plus, I think it has better ergonomics and fits me better, though from pics I have seen the 3520C apparently has improved the headstock design. Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade my Laguna even for a new PM though no doubt it is a fine machine. I like the Laguna that much.

Left click my name for homepage link.

The high price you see for the 3520B on Amazon are likely the result of automated pricing responding to limited supply. Here's one article on the topic.

How about $1600 instead of $4981.99?

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    The high price you see for the 3520B on Amazon are likely the result of automated pricing responding to limited supply. Here's one article on the topic.
    For anyone interested, you can follow the Amazon price on camelcamelcamel.

The price dropped to $1600 recently - that would have been a good nab! Here's the recent price history. If considering buying you can put a price watch alert into the camel^3 page and they will send you an email if it drops below your threshold.

camelcamel_PM3520b.jpg

I once bought a $250 dial test indicator for less than $40 when the automatic price algorithms decided to practically give them away for a few hours.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 11-07-2017 at 1:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Not really sure how that's possible I talked to Powermatic and they said that the release date on the 3520c isn't until December 1st

Ron, it's quite possible, and it's done all the time. As long as they let the buyers know that they are preselling them, then there is no issue. A lot of companies do this, they are trying to get an idea of how much interest there is in their products.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Ron, it's quite possible, and it's done all the time. As long as they let the buyers know that they are preselling them, then there is no issue. A lot of companies do this, they are trying to get an idea of how much interest there is in their products.
    Len
    I see, ty.

Funny I have the catalog right in front of me and yes 3520c pictured. And it says call for best price! I have had my 3520b for 12 years without 1 single problem, not even a minor thing. One of my students wanted a new lathe so I told him about the Grizzly G0766 which he bought. It is OK but it is not a 3520b by any stretch of the imagination. After a few weeks something started ticking and it got so loud he was afraid to run it. After a week or so Grizzly had him take it apart a fix a problem that was not put together properly. He told me that is why they can sell them so cheap because they get free labor to fix them