Thread: Live Edge Slab Joining

Live Edge Slab Joining

Hello,

Looking for advice on the best way to join 2" thick live edge slabs used as legs to a 2" thick live edge slab top. Not big, just a foyer/entry/hall table about 48" wide by 14" deep by 34" high (approx.). Was thinking about a shallow mortise and tenon to start and then lag bolting a 2"x2" cleat to the underside of the top next to each leg on the inside and then gluing dowels completely through the cleat and leg together.

Thank you for any advice.

Jerry

You might consider through tenons with wedges. Search for it on this forum. As usual, a lot of good information available. Good luck.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thanks David, I was thinking about doing that for a brace halfway down the legs. But for the top attachment that would leave a tenon and wedge sticking above the top if I understand you correctly.

You can saw them flush with the surface. They usually contrast with the rest of the surface since they are end grain but that varies with the species of wood used. Some like this and make them even more apparent by using contrasting wood for the wedge. What wood are you using?

Ash. ...................apparently there has to be 10 characters to post a reply.

Ash works really well. Let us know what you decide and post some pics.