Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old is elderly?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How old is elderly?

Having recently passed my 75th birthday, I got to wondering ....what is a senior citizen? I always assumed age 65, when you are expected to retire was the senior citizen threshold. Then kids at taco stands started offering me a senior discount when I was under 50. Hey, they said 'do you want a senior discount?', and I said 'YES, I'll take any discount I can get". Been asking for it ever since.

So, now that I am certainly a senior, I am wondering ......at what age do I become 'elderly'? My dad did pretty well until he was 80, then fell off rapidly, dying at 87. I hope to have another 5 pretty good years coming, God willing. Sometimes I wonder if I am foolish buying a new table saw right now, but hey, the wife said it was OK, then booked a trip to Germany.

So....How old do you think is elderly?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I say enjoy the tablesaw.

Elderly is in somebody else's mind. I'm 80 and negotiating to buy a new laser engraver.

I do have a few joints that could use some 3 in 1 oil though.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

How old is elderly? To me, elderly is a state, not an age. I think of "elderly" as the point at which people start to visibly show their advanced age - shuffling walk, shaky hands, frail, etc. Nothing wrong with that - it's just the way God made the world to work. All I can do is smile or nod respectfully and ask if they could use a hand. We'll all get there, if we're fortunate.

Rick, it's your money and you worked all your life to earn it. You wanted that saw and I'm glad you bought it! I told my Dad to spend every dime - if it brings him pleasure, it's well worth it. You too, friend.

Best wishes,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I do have a few joints that could use some 3 in 1 oil though.
    If your joints are squeaking, you're rolling them too tight.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    If your joints are squeaking, you're rolling them too tight.
    Hi-Oh!!!!

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

I just lost a friend and a neighbor. The friend was 66 and died of a heart attack while jogging. The neighbor was 54 and projected elderly for the last two or three years. Mat an 88 year old man that still goes to the ice rink and figure skates, no longer does any jumps, but does spins. When my wife says act your age, I reply "Never!"

The actual age for elderly is increasing and rather quickly according to census data and predictions. Here is an example from the US Census website.

Ages.JPG
    Aging.JPG
    Considering there are now 325 million people in US. 50 million are age 65 and over - 15%.

lots of interesting data at this website
    https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...lizations.html

Elderly means you are old ...but not smart enough to be a tribal "Elder".

Elderly is when you look in the mirror and see what other people think they see. I hope I never see it. North of seventy by a bit now, according to what I see they must think I'm in a costume or something.
    Jim

In a month and a half I will be 75. I think that elderly is older than me no matter what my age. When asked if I am old I usually respond "No I'm not old but I can almost see it from here", with emphasis on the ALMOST.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elderly is when you quit buying green bananas.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    At 72 I'm elderly the first half hour or so after getting up, then my back gets used to being on my feet. I start to get elderly again about 7 or 8 in the evening after being on my feet all day. Mentally, I'm never elderly - at least not yet. Hope to have another 10 or so decent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L Carpenter View Post
    At 72 I'm elderly the first half hour or so after getting up, then my back gets used to being on my feet. I start to get elderly again about 7 or 8 in the evening after being on my feet all day. Mentally, I'm never elderly - at least not yet. Hope to have another 10 or so decent years.
    +1 ^^
    I turned 67 a few days ago and sometimes feel like Thomas. On the other hand, I go to a private insurance sponsored gym twice a week and I’m usually one of the youngsters.

I bought a 12k shop toy a few years ago, I don’t see myself doing that again.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The idea that one is "over the hill" is just the reverse. That would imply that everything is now downhill. It ain't--I feel like I'm going uphill all the time.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7