Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old is elderly?

How old is elderly?

Having recently passed my 75th birthday, I got to wondering ....what is a senior citizen? I always assumed age 65, when you are expected to retire was the senior citizen threshold. Then kids at taco stands started offering me a senior discount when I was under 50. Hey, they said 'do you want a senior discount?', and I said 'YES, I'll take any discount I can get". Been asking for it ever since.

So, now that I am certainly a senior, I am wondering ......at what age do I become 'elderly'? My dad did pretty well until he was 80, then fell off rapidly, dying at 87. I hope to have another 5 pretty good years coming, God willing. Sometimes I wonder if I am foolish buying a new table saw right now, but hey, the wife said it was OK, then booked a trip to Germany.

So....How old do you think is elderly?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I say enjoy the tablesaw.

Elderly is in somebody else's mind. I'm 80 and negotiating to buy a new laser engraver.

I do have a few joints that could use some 3 in 1 oil though.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

How old is elderly? To me, elderly is a state, not an age. I think of "elderly" as the point at which people start to visibly show their advanced age - shuffling walk, shaky hands, frail, etc. Nothing wrong with that - it's just the way God made the world to work. All I can do is smile or nod respectfully and ask if they could use a hand. We'll all get there, if we're fortunate.

Rick, it's your money and you worked all your life to earn it. You wanted that saw and I'm glad you bought it! I told my Dad to spend every dime - if it brings him pleasure, it's well worth it. You too, friend.

Best wishes,
    Fred

I just lost a friend and a neighbor. The friend was 66 and died of a heart attack while jogging. The neighbor was 54 and projected elderly for the last two or three years. Mat an 88 year old man that still goes to the ice rink and figure skates, no longer does any jumps, but does spins. When my wife says act your age, I reply "Never!"

Blog Entries
    At 72 I'm elderly the first half hour or so after getting up, then my back gets used to being on my feet. I start to get elderly again about 7 or 8 in the evening after being on my feet all day. Mentally, I'm never elderly - at least not yet. Hope to have another 10 or so decent years.

The actual age for elderly is increasing and rather quickly according to census data and predictions. Here is an example from the US Census website.

Ages.JPG
    Aging.JPG
    Considering there are now 325 million people in US. 50 million are age 65 and over - 15%.

lots of interesting data at this website
    https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...lizations.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Well Rick, that's obvious, 2 years older than you are, regardless of your age.

The gentleman I buy lumber from has got to be 85, but runs a woodmizer and a solar kiln, working solo. By his age I’d consider him elderly, but he by no means acts it.

I hope to be as active and sharp as he is at that age.

I don't think "elderly" has anything to do with age. A guy I run with is 70 and and runs 1-2 marathons a year plus other events. He and his wife did both retire this year. Well kind of. He goes in a few days a week where he was in management and does whatever they need--covers vacations for various managers, receptionist, hi-lo driver, etc. She's supposed to be done at Christmas but her management still thinks they will talk her into staying on at least part time and it sounds like she would but her department is moving to where it would be 120 miles round trip for her. Assuming they give her as much time off as she wants for their world travels that is. On the other hand, my dad passed away at 72 and was basically home bound the last 5 or 6 years. In the 2 years since, mom who is only 68 has had a number of issues that are getting me concerned. They are up in the air what to even do about some of it. Both my uncle and mother-in-law who turned 80 this year have slowed considerably in the last year or so. But both are better off than two of my mid-50's brother-in-laws though.

Elderly = 30 years older than whatever age I am.

I recall when I was 23 and my aunt turned 46, I thought, 'how old.' Now that I'm 46, I see that she was not old, but I was young. Her 70th birthday celebration is this weekend and she walks better and with more energy now than ever.

I think you are officially elderly when your realize the truth that 'you are as young as you feel'.

"Elderly" is a function of physical & mental condition. Number of candles on the birthday cake has little to do with it as others here have stated. I've seen talk of social security raising the 'retirement age' from 65 to 67 and perhaps 70.

metrics

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    That's a bit like asking how much does a house cost!

I'm 67+ . I know people more than 10 years younger who never exercised or took care of their bodies, one now needs a cane to get around. I can still race a teenager up the hill from the barn. (and I don't always lose!) I know people who never exercised their minds and can't figure out something complex if they had to. They are usually pretty good at watching TV though.

Your question made me think though and do some reading on the question. This article mentions that nobody likes to think of themselves as old or very old (the less socially acceptable synonym for elderly): http://www.npr.org/2013/03/12/174124...who-is-elderly. It states what we all know - elderly can be considererd a state of being, a "feeling" rather than an age.

One friend moaned and groaned when he turned 40. Good grief. When I turned 40 I looked in the mirror and said "Yes! I made it to 40!" I know plenty of people who didn't, even then.

JKJ

In Florida it's 60. Among the many other benefits this entitles you to (none of which I am taking advantage of except the over-55 discount at a BBQ chain) is that if you are punched out by someone aged 59, that's Elder Abuse. I don't know if you have to lose the fight to invoke that.

I'd buy more tools if I had anyplace to put them. Having enough trouble finding the ones I have.

Seems like many of you are creating a new definition of elderly. LOL
    elderly.JPG