Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basket Weave Illusion design software?

You might want to try SketchUp. It is free and does not have too steep of a learning curve.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    Thanks I don't think the price is to high i am just not sure how well it would work for what I wanted thank you and your friend for you your. I sent an email to Harvey Meyer and he responded with a couple of sugestions.
    I got another note from Rod:
    I just played with Segment Pro. When you go to the paint mode, the segments are in the brick layout. When you do a basket illusion, the rows are all in a line. It can be done but it will be more difficult than the radial patterns.

The overlapping brick pattern could work by considering each brick to be two basket segments, but then the detail in the pattern would be limited. The graph paper method sounds like what I'd use. You can print almost any kind of graph paper from the internet.

JKJ

JKJ

I use DeltaCAD to create some basic layout lines, but I don't think that any software program comes with built in designs if that is what you had in mind. I start with a design that I want to create and then use DeltaCAD to draw the indexing lines. I then print this out full size and lay the basket inverted over the printout and use a colored pencil to put tick marks on the wood. Next, I use a flexible straightedge to draw the outlines with colored pencils. I don't use graphite pencils because they leave permanent smudges that can't be erased. I burn in the pattern outlines and then color the patterns at least partially along the edges. The rest is just mind numbing burning and coloring. I like to do a herringbone weave around the rim, but there are other options. The inspiration for my work originated from the basket illusions that Jim Adkins does when I saw his pieces in the instant gallery at SWAT and then attended his demo.

Here is one of mine that is patterned after the well known Navajo wedding basket. I would like to emphasize that the software had nothing to do with creating the design. It was only an aid in putting the indexing on paper. A typical indexing wheel wouldn't work for me because I use an odd number of repetitive patterns and because of the gap in this pattern, I divided 357° by 50 for the outer pattern and by 34 for the inner pattern.

large.jpg

And, here is a close up of the herringbone pattern on the rim.

image.jpeg
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 11-08-2017 at 2:50 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Bill

IMG_1412.jpgThanks I found deltacad and may look into it. I am not looking for a program with designs already in it I am just interested in a program that would allow me to create designs and view them and maybe even view different colors before I put it to the would. I really like the example you shared. Do you do the herringbone pattern on the rim free hand are is there a method to get them so stright? Here is my first try.

Thanks for your comments and photo nice job

Last edited by Ted Baxter; 11-08-2017 at 4:21 PM. Reason: add picture

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    IMG_1412.jpgThanks I found deltacad and may look into it. I am not looking for a program with designs already in it I am just interested in a program that would allow me to create designs and view them and maybe even view different colors before I put it to the would. I really like the example you shared. Do you do the herringbone pattern on the rim free hand are is there a method to get them so stright? Here is my first try.
    Thanks for your comments and photo nice job

I have used a couple ways to do the herringbone pattern. The most accurate is to mold epoxy putty around a couple inches of the rim then remove it and trim with an Xacto knife to get the desired angle of the lines. Then use a colored pencil to draw the lines and finally burn the pattern. The other method ... after getting proficient in burning the pattern is to skip the jig and freehand the lines with a colored pencil. I would never consider skipping drawing the pencil lines. You can erase pencil lines ... it's a lot harder to erase burned lines.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    I like to do a herringbone weave around the rim, but there are other options.
    image.jpeg
    I REALLY love the look of that, wish I could look at the piece in person. Question: do you carry burned lines on the rim around to a continuation of the pattern on the bottom?

I watched a bit of a video in a symposium vendor's booth of a jig with a tiny hot knife wheel burning perfectly radial lines on a platter/plate, rolling up over each bead then down into the grooves. Probably used with an indexing wheel. It sure looked effortless but instead of a basket illusion I thought it was more of a basket disillusion. To be fair, I didn't watch more than 30 seconds so maybe I missed the big picture.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I REALLY love the look of that, wish I could look at the piece in person. Question: do you carry burned lines on the rim around to a continuation of the pattern on the bottom?

I watched a bit of a video in a symposium vendor's booth of a jig with a tiny hot knife wheel burning perfectly radial lines on a platter/plate, rolling up over each bead then down into the grooves. Probably used with an indexing wheel. It sure looked effortless but instead of a basket illusion I thought it was more of a basket disillusion. To be fair, I didn't watch more than 30 seconds so maybe I missed the big picture.

JKJ
    Yes, and the pattern on the bottom is aligned with the top. It's all several hundred hours of work as opposed to the type that uses an indexing wheel to have straight radial lines. I considered it a success when several people at my club picked it up and thought it was a real coiled basket.

image.jpg

BTW, the foot is a separate piece that is glued to the bottom.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 11-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Bill