Thread: Grizzly tools question, please.

Grizzly tools question, please.

I just saw an ad in our local weekly shopper for Grizzly woodworking tools.
    Supposedly, excellent condition.

I've noticed that some here hold these tools in high regard.
    I'm not familiar with them.

The things that I could be interested in are a planer, lathe and a planer molder (whatever that is)
    I haven't called for prices but was wondering what a fair price range might be for these tools.

Thanks

Edit:
    I just looked and that may be impossible to answer without knowing model #s
    Last edited by Larry Foster; 11-07-2017 at 8:39 PM.

I have the 15” spiral head planer, the 8" Jointer with Parallelogram Beds (with both knives and Spiral Cutterhead). Also the 17” bandsaw and a G1071 - Oscillating Spindle Sander and a shaper w/power feed.

So far they all have been better than I assumed they’re be and have no regrets with any of them. The planer and spindle sander and shaper was purchased used.

I’ve only had issue with the baby feeder and recently bought additional parts for the shaper. All I can say is WOW! I am very satisfied with the parts they keep on hand and the price! That in itself weighs heavy for me!

“I just looked and that may be impossible to answer without knowing model #s”

Exactly.

In general they are good tools. The earlier years (late 80’s early 90’s?) weren’t the most refined.

Here's what I would do:

-- Call and obtain the model numbers, then go to the Grizzly web site and see if the machines are still in production and what they cost new.

-- Next, do an on-line search for any information/reviews/posts on woodworking sites about the machines.

-- If the above gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling about the machines, go and look at them. Ask about the owner's manual and parts schematic. Also ask to see the machines in operation.

Not sure if any of the Grizzly machines need 3 phase power for their motors. I am also leery of any machine sold "as is."
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-07-2017 at 9:54 PM.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions.
    I asked first before looking at the Grizzly site.

Even used, they may be out of my budget, but never hurts to call

I have a few Grizzly products. They generally work well, but you’ll need to learn how to tune all these tools. At that price point, they’re just not setup with the detail and care of a SawStop or Latina or whatever. But once you get them adjusted right, they are very competent, and WAY better than any of the junk you’d get at HD/Lowe’s/Sears.

You can just get the model number and Google it.

Some Grizzly tools are decent. Research the models before you buy.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-09-2017 at 11:01 AM.

planer/moulder is a great machine. have one for 20 years, accepts knives for making all kinds of profiles.