Thread: Best way to Laser Cut Photograph on Hardboard

Best way to Laser Cut Photograph on Hardboard

I have been using an Epilog-Mini 45W for most of a year and have begun to make jigsaw puzzles with photographs on them. I decided to first mount them on 1/8" hardboard (masonite) with 3M 586 film, which worked great. However, I am running into issues when cutting them. I cannot seem to cut without leaving burn/scorch marks on the paper, as I need the laser power up fairly high to cut through the hardboard. I am looking for suggestions if it is possible to make jigsaw puzzles this way without heat marks, or is it just something I will have to deal with.

Blog Entries
    Find 1/8"mdf, would be as stable and cut easier than Masonite which is pretty darn hard, I'm expecting you are using tempered Masonite too. Even a quality birch ply would cut easier. You can mask the picture, it should help some, but would add time removing mask.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

fast high pressure air assist
    You did what !

nothing will help in that regard .. you will get charring of the cut edge and the paper whatever you do ..
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Maybe try low-tack Hotmask foil (PVC free of course)? Don't know if it will leave stains om the photo paper.
    RayFine RF-9060 80W CO2 laser
    RayFine 30W JPT-LP Fiber Laser
    Pressurized Sandblasting Cabinet
    Sublimation stuff.

I have done many jigsaw puzzles, mostly acrylic but just did one with wood (grandsons). I applied clear polyester film over the paper photo after gluing it onto the wood, then applied transfer tape. No discoloration at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green