Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photographs on Aluminum (or not)

Bill that dog one is beautiful, thank you for posting..
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks I will be adding your tips to my notebook!

As for the granite, we don't use Johnson's for that. My boss got his from somewhere else (i have NO idea). I agree with the white paint idea, but I haven't sold the ladies on it yet. They are our CSRs and must deal with disgruntled customers so I usually pass EVERYTHING by them first. I had my boss buy me a couple of boxes of 12 x 12 black granite tiles from HD to practice on and run a power/speed test. I'll scale down whatever image I'm working on run at least one on it before trying it on the good stuff.

FWIW, I am not the original person slated to do this! We do other customization using some New Hermes engravers, and one of the ladies that is a bit more artistic was supposed to do this. She went through the training with the company rep AP sent us and had a day long class on Corel also. But it became pretty clear she wasn't going to do it. So I just watched videos and started playing around. Luckily I am pretty good and picking up software and have been working with Photoshop for other things. I also am very comfortable looking for help in places like this! Trust me I lurked for several weeks before I joined and posted.
    Last edited by Melissa BurnerMN; 11-09-2017 at 7:47 AM. Reason: too early in morning
    APLazer SN 2816
    I use Corel and Adobe for image editing.
    PhotoGrav 3.1 and Lasercut 5.3 came with the machine.

Don't you just love it when someone else, maybe the purchasing agent gets the training and the user does not!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Nothing so fancy here. We are a very small whole company of just 9 people. My boss is used to sourcing things for the business. Though I had the feeling I would be the one doing the laser engraving I didn't sit in on the training. Where we have the laser engraver is smallish area and there were already too many folks (3) in it. I'm good at learning things by myself from the internet. How did everyone else learn? Were they taught or trial and error?
    APLazer SN 2816

Melissa

Welcome to SMC.

I am self-taught when it comes to software. I've been using Corel for 20 years now and can find my way around but my biggest helper has been this guy. I think he's incredible. http://www.coreldrawtips.com/videos-all
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Have you looked at PhotoGrav? And if you haven't already, I strongly suggest you search for the "Gold Method" (name for Rodney Gold, a moderator here) of photo prep.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    Have you looked at PhotoGrav? And if you haven't already, I strongly suggest you search for the "Gold Method" (name for Rodney Gold, a moderator here) of photo prep.
    John, she had Photograv listed in her signature, so looks like she's got that covered.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Yes I have PhotoGrav and I will probably need to re-visit the "Gold" method.

I think I've talked my boss into going to Johnson's Plastic today. Luckily for us we have one pretty close.
    APLazer SN 2816