Thread: Universal Laser issues with X-axis skipping

Universal Laser issues with X-axis skipping

I have been having problems with the x-axis skipping randomly, on multiple jobs, with laser engraving (though so far not on cutting). It is not in the same spot each time and does not "jump" the same distance--one time it may shift a quarter inch and the next it's an inch and half. However, I do hear a "click" right before the shift.

We have a ULS 6.60 laser that is four years old. The x-axis pm was performed in February this year (new belt, bearings, idler, and drive gear motor).

We have taken the x-axis apart and cleaned and inspected the belt and all other parts, and double-checked belt tension with a spring scale.

I have called Universal Support several times, but haven't got any other suggestions. I have jobs backed up for the holiday rush and am starting to panic!

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Sandi Marlowe
    Spark Laser Creations
    Livingston, MT

Have you cleaned the encoder strip? Not sure where it is on a Universal, maybe someone with one will chime in.

Not one to clean Gary. Different animal.

Maybe a motor encoder going bad? Just guessing.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

Does it have one like my old GCC, on the end shaft of the stepper? It was just a disc enclosed inside a housing, it got fairly dirty with the right (or wrong...) material being lasered.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

What is a motor encoder? Haven't even heard of that before! Many thanks!

The motor, internally, has a mechanism that keeps track of how far it's supposed to move. At this point, it's one of the few things left to try, a new X-Axis motor. I suspect ULS will be heading to that soon if they can't resolve it any other way. There are motors and boards that drive those motors. One of them is going bad, I'm guessing.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Yeeks. Doesn't sound good, but I'd rather know what's going on and get it going again.

Thanks for your help.

Loose set screw or other on pulleys, bad spot on belt, loose connections even a plug in connection. Try unplugging and re connecting plug connectors.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-09-2017 at 9:39 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

We checked set screws and belt, but didn't think of the plug connectors. I'll try that too. Thanks!!

I know it might not be the issue, but a few years ago our PLS 360 was doing this. After days and days of customer support and them sending us entire new arms and encoder strips we figured out the problem. It was our COMPUTER! The RAM was going bad and somehow that was causing a hiccup with the engraving software and caused the x axis to do things like this.
    I have worked for QuickTrophy LLC since 2006.
    Trotec Speedy 360, 3 Universal PLS 360's, 1 M-360, and VLS 230
    We also do color work using a Mimaki UJF-3042Fx and Sublimation Equipment

That's a good point. Years ago when I had a ULS, I ran into communication issues between the pc and laser. Usually it was the cable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7