Thread: Advise on Incra TS-LS Joinery system / Jet Jobsite TS jbts-10mjs

Question Advise on Incra TS-LS Joinery system / Jet Jobsite TS jbts-10mjs

I am a relative noob to woodworking. I purchased a used Jet jobsite table saw this past year and have been remodeling my home. In the process I have become fascinated with woodworking and started making items for my home. The small jobsite saw has been good but the table area is just too small. I am thinking removing the TS from its mobile stand and building a cabinet to include more work area for ripping larger sheets of plywood etc. The saw itself has plenty of power for my needs, 15amps. I will upgrade sometime in the future but dropping a couple grand on a new TS now isn't in the budget.

Here's my question. I am thinking of building this cabinet and adding an Incra TS-LS fence. Also, thinking I may spend the extra and get the Incra Joinery system and include a router table to this cabinet. Has anyone on the forum done something similar? If so, can you share any thoughts, pics, suggestions? Would it be a waste to spend the money on the Incra system rather than on a new table saw?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

That Incra is expensive...$1000 goes a long way to a new table saw...

Well, if the Incra fence is transferable to a future cabinet saw...

I haven't done it myself, but I know there are You Tubers who have built larger tables around jobsite saws, might be something to look into. In the end, though, you'll basically just have a jobsite saw with a larger table.

There are numerous examples of such, either using a jobsite saw or a contractor's saw, you can find 'em with a decent web search. If you do decide to go this route, skip the 52" fence, go with the 32". I've been using the Incra system for the better part of this century, first on my Delta Contractor's Saw now on my SawStop.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I did the cabinet and Incra thing you're considering of with a Bosch jobsite saw.
    IMG_0446-2.jpg

It was a waste of money, time and effort. I kept the cabinet and Incra fence, replaced the saw with a SawStop contractor's saw and I'm good:

IMG_0461-2.jpg

"You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear." A jobsite saw is good for what it does but not up to furniture-grade work. Even with a cabinet and fence setup that costs twice what you shelled out for the saw.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions Bill. Sounds like I'm going for the wrong fix. Thinking my precision will get better with the fence rather than waiting to upgrade my TS. I'll start saving for a better TS then upgrade the fence after. In the short term I will build a cabinet so I can accommodate bigger sheet goods on my table and figure how to rig a bit better fence on this new table. D

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    That Incra is expensive...$1000 goes a long way to a new table saw...
    Thanks James. I was looking to invest around $650 on the fence/joinery combo, I also have a 10% off coupon so was thinking I'd get something I could start off with the upgrade to a nicer TS down the road. I've been looking at used contractor/cabinet saws on Craigslist, will keep searching.

Thanks all for your feedback

The Incra fence and joinery system is a fantastic setup but it will not correct the inaccuracy of a poor saw. I have the Incra system mounted on my Jet Delux Xacta saw, with a built in Incra router table and I absolutely love the setup. I have limited space in my garage shop so this setup works well for me.

Table saw setup

Router table setup

Earl

10. Maybe determine the condition of the saw before replacing it, if you're satisfied with its power & capability. Get a dial indicator and see how much runout you have in the arbor & miter slots. If it's comparable to better saws, use it, you already have it. Might just need a set of bearings and new belt. IMO the saw just turns the blade and is adequate if within tolerance. If it checks out I feel you'd get far more use and enjoyment out of the Incra system than another saw turning the blade with a mediocre fence on it. And, the Incra system will migrate to any future saws.
    I have the older Incra system on my PM66, it cuts dead on -every time. I set it up with calipers and it's perfect ever since. It can quickly and easily be re-calibrated to different blades. I also have the same older positioner on their large offset router top with a Triton 3.5hp router & shop made cabinet. I love it and plan to upgrade to the Wonder Fence soon.