Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Rockwell 10 Inch Contractors Saw

Older Rockwell 10 Inch Contractors Saw

I was on my local Craigslist shopping for a smaller table saw. Ran accross a Rockwell 10 inch contractors saw. Table is pretty rusty, surface rust it looks like. The rest looks pretty good, got a really nice rip fence. Has not ran for 6 years, seller does not know much about it as it belonged to father in law. So is it worth $150 if it runs ok and arbor bearings are good? Or I can offer less and see what happens?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You can offer less, but seller's price is decent. In our market, Delta model 10's go for $200 - $250 depending upon condition. The bearings are 6203-2RS, which can be gotten at Fastenal for about $2.00 each. As for quality of Fastenal's bearing, daughter's Honda has one (6203-2RS) in idler pulley that has over 300K miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    You can offer less, but seller's price is decent. In our market, Delta model 10's go for $200 - $250 depending upon condition. The bearings are 6203-2RS, which can be gotten at Fastenal for about $2.00 each. As for quality of Fastenal's bearing, daughter's Honda has one (6203-2RS) in idler pulley that has over 300K miles on it.
    Bruce thanks. Its way bigger than I need, but that old cast iron was calling me. I will check it over but it looks likd a good investment.

The Seller accepted my offer and I pick up Tuesday. I plan to use my low to ground trailer to pick up. I downloaded the owners manual and it looks to be the 1978 model, but it did not give the weight. I have ramps, heavy straps and a couple dollies but how many pounds are we looking at? Thanks for the help.

Do you have a truck? If you do take the motor off. Back the tailgate up to it. Flip it into the bed on it's top. When you get home reverse the process. A contractor saw probably doesn't weigh more than 200 lbs. Less with the motor removed. People do it with Unisaws all the time and they probably weigh 2x.

Blog Entries
    Contractor saws are built to be portable. These were the "job site" saws of their day before we started making them plastic and really small. Back when I used to move one I just stood it sideways at the rear of the pickup, tilted it so a wing hit the lowered tailgate and flipped it carefully over to set on it's top. Strap it down and away you go. Kinda like this guy but, without all the fooling around and without using the handwheel as a pivot point . . . doh!
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-10-2017 at 9:30 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks guys... I never thought about the milk crates. I have used tailgating in the past but this seems like an easy addition.

Well, now the Seller tells me he went and got the saw out of storage or where ever and when he plugs it in the circuit breaker trips. Even when its turned off. When its turned on it tries to start and then trips the breaker. It looks as if the OEM switch has been replaced but since the white and black (hot) can be reversed anywhere I am guessing bad motor. I offered $130 for a running saw, now thinking either $60 or just not purchase. It does have a nice miter gauge and rip fence, rust on the table but guessing even putting a used eBay motor at $175 is not feasible.

Suggestions?

Blog Entries
    If it is a standard contractor format with the motor hanging on a pivot assembly out the back, replacing a motor is no big deal operationally. A bad start capacitor will give different behaviors. The most common IME is for the motor to jog as if it is going to start and then the breaker opens. IME, a bad cap will also only come into play when the power switch is "on".

Electrical problems are not easy to diagnose 'on the fly' at a storage facility but, on a contractor saw there are only really a few parts; power cord, switch, motor and the wiring configuration. If the motor is 120 - 240 capable it provides even more ways for folks who "don't need directions" to fouls things up.

If you want to fool with it and there are no other options in your area (I just did a quick CL search around me and there's 3 saws from $70 to $100) I would offer what you think the saw-body is worth and go from there. It may just be a matter of improper wiring, gunk in the windings or some other simple issue. It could also be a dead motor. I have bought saws for $100 just to get the motor and that may be an option.

With old Craftsman contractor saws being pretty frequent at the $100 to $200 range I am disinclined to fool around much. If I had searched for months just to find one, I would think it over more carefully. Your circumstances will drive your decision. If you were closer, I probably have a motor you could take for nexta-nuthin'. Maybe a shout out to SMC folks in your area to see if a fellow Iowan has a motor they would give up for cheap.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-12-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The motor is nothing special--easy to replace.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks guys but the circuit breaker trips when the switch is off and tries to run but circuit breaker trips again. I do like the old cast iron and once again except for the rust on the table looks to be decent in the pictures anyway. I will take along my multimeter and clamp on ammeter when I go look.

So what is it worth with a bad motor?

Bill I would go half of what you offered before. It should not be hard to find a motor. I have two 1.5 horse motors off contractor saws at my shop. I would ship one to you but it would probably cost as much as buying one where you live. If you are interested PM me. Mike.

Bill, have YOU seen it? If not don't be too quick to blame the motor.

If it is not too far away, go look at it and make a better decision. Could be, someone twisted the cord loose or whatever. If it has a nice fence, and he is willing to deal......

One time I bought one that would hardly run. Turns out they were hooking it to 100' of 18 GA extension cord and a 15 amp circuit. Got a good price, and it fired right up at home.

Just thinkin'
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Bill, have YOU seen it? If not don't be too quick to blame the motor.

If it is not too far away, go look at it and make a better decision. Could be, someone twisted the cord loose or whatever. If it has a nice fence, and he is willing to deal......

One time I bought one that would hardly run. Turns out they were hooking it to 100' of 18 GA extension cord and a 15 amp circuit. Got a good price, and it fired right up at home.

Just thinkin'
    Rick, I go look at it Tuesday, I am sure I can figure out what is wrong as I have been involved in electrical for a long time. But I guess I don't feel I should be troubleshooting for the seller and give him information for "free" if you know what I mean. But given the fact it trips the CB just by plugging it, and when the switch is on trys to start leads me to think its the motor. I auggested to the seller he might want to check the switch and replace if needed. But no response. Thank you for replying.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-12-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Unsubscribed.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."