Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General (canada) model 260 wood lathe

General (canada) model 260 wood lathe

What is one of these worth ? It has the extension bed. Nearly 9 feet long without actually measuring it. Mint condition looks hardly used. Any help would be appreciated,thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    What is one of these worth ? It has the extension bed. Nearly 9 feet long without actually measuring it. Mint condition looks hardly used. Any help would be appreciated,thanks Mike.
    In Ontario these go for around $1600-- or better, depending if the are reeves drive or have a DVR variable speed.
    Have fun and take care

It has a reeves drive. Thanks for the response.Mike.

i think i got a really good deal, i just bought a general 26020vd with the electronic (not reeves) variable speed, 2 HP Baldor. It came with inboard and outboard face plate, 12" and 4" tool rests, banjo, tail stock, knockout bar, a nova chuck with large dovetail jaws and live center for $800! Things i wish it came with are the outboard table, banjo extension and the gap filler table. I have no idea where to find this stuff as all of my searches on the google machine come up with little to nothing.

Mine does not have the long table extension. it has a 38" capacity.

The only two downsides to this lathe that i am aware of is the obvious lack of sliding headstock, and the not so obvious 2" travel of the ram of the tailstock. I am looking into options for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Raser View Post
    i think i got a really good deal, i just bought a general 26020vd with the electronic (not reeves) variable speed, 2 HP Baldor. It came with inboard and outboard face plate, 12" and 4" tool rests, banjo, tail stock, knockout bar, a nova chuck with large dovetail jaws and live center for $800! Things i wish it came with are the outboard table, banjo extension and the gap filler table. I have no idea where to find this stuff as all of my searches on the google machine come up with little to nothing.

Mine does not have the long table extension. it has a 38" capacity.

The only two downsides to this lathe that i am aware of is the obvious lack of sliding headstock, and the not so obvious 2" travel of the ram of the tailstock. I am looking into options for this.
    That is not a good deal but a real STEAL, there are 2 General 260 lathes on KIJIJI in Ontario, one is asking $2000--, the other $2800 with a spiral cutting setup, several General 160, asking from $600-- right up to $1600--

These are well build lathes, but old tech, though that can be changed quite easily.

Here is a tool seller, well known, and they do get the General lathes occasionally, get in contact with them, they might be able to find some of the pieces you like to have, rare and not cheap anywhere.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-tool/ottawa/...k0c110l1700185
    Have fun and take care

I hope nobody got your license plate number while you were speeding away!!!!
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks for the info Leo, I'll check them out for some missing pieces.

Apic of it in my garage for reference on condition.
    IMG_20171109_155150.jpg

There's a great deal to like about the Canadian General lathes and I might have bought one years ago but two features put me off: At the time I was looking the machine didn't have reversing or variable speed, and the outboard threading wasn't the same as the inboard, so you'd need different tooling to turn outboard. It seemed really stubborn on General's part to resist such an easy fix. Before they went out of business they might have corrected those issues, though.

I am buying this lathe. A good friend is selling it to me for a good price. I get the lathe with reeves drive, extension bed, turning tools,couple of face plates and a duplicator thrown in. My wife wants a pencil post bed so I figure thats a good deal. Thanks for all the replies.

Mike. Is it the lathe in reinholds on Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    There's a great deal to like about the Canadian General lathes and I might have bought one years ago but two features put me off: At the time I was looking the machine didn't have reversing or variable speed, and the outboard threading wasn't the same as the inboard, so you'd need different tooling to turn outboard. It seemed really stubborn on General's part to resist such an easy fix. Before they went out of business they might have corrected those issues, though.
    Frank they certainly did make those changes, but the lathes where not their most important product, they put most emphases on there table saws, then the Sawstop came and they lost all that and let all the air out them.

General woodlathe 260 26020.jpg General woodlathe 160-1 160-2.jpg
    Have fun and take care

No this lathe is in Alberta,buddy had it shipped from Ontario.

You got a great deal, I purchased a 260 in 1991 and used it very often for various turning projects. Still in great shape and works perfect and always did everything that I ask it to. Plus I just like the old school look! Probably would have sold it when I bought my PM3520 2 years ago, were it not for the sentimental value.

I the operators and maintenance manual and will be glad to send you a copy. Thought that I could attach it here, but I don't believe that I can.

Here's mine with the extension.
    DCP_1382.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Frank they certainly did make those changes, but the lathes where not their most important product, they put most emphases on there table saws, then the Sawstop came and they lost all that and let all the air out them.
    Thanks for the information, Leo; it was the 1-1/8" outboard/1-1/4" inboard and (at that time) lack of variable speed and reversing on the 260 that put me off. I guess if I'd followed up in a few years I would have seen the changes they'd made. As I said, there was a lot to like about the lathe.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 11-17-2017 at 5:19 PM.