Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wenge and Padauk furniture

Blog Entries

Wenge and Padauk furniture

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you any of you have photos of furniture that have these two species.. I have some ideas on how to combine the two colors. Would like to see how they look when they are finished.

Also, it sounds like Wenge pretty much stays the same color, but Padauk could get even more red or maybe pink? What are your experiences with how these change color over time?

Cheers,

I don't have first-hand experience with wenge, but padauk becomes very much darker. I have a piece of padauk that was the orange color of yams when freshly cut, but is now a luscious chocolate with only a hint of very dark red. I have other pieces that have kept a bit more of their red. If you're looking for contrasts with padauk, you might want to pair it with a much lighter wood, although I still like mine that I paired with walnut.

(Sorry for the formatting characters. My apostrophes are not displaying right.)
    Last edited by Brent VanFossen; 11-09-2017 at 2:18 AM.

My limited experience with wenge is that it turns more brown when finished with oils and varnishes. It may be that I usually see the unfinished wenge in low light, but it appears nearly black to my eye.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Paduak turns a warm chocolate brown in a few years. I'll see if I can get a pic of a piece I did for a client. I saw it the other day (about 4 years after I delivered it when it was dark red) and couldn't believe the difference. She had lived with it and didn't seem to even notice so I didn't say anything
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Hmmm...

I was hoping I found red and black woods that kept their color.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Hmmm...

I was hoping I found red and black woods that kept their color.
    It's rare that any wood species will "keep its color" as machined long-term. Most darken substantially or get more amber; a few, like walnut, get lighter over time. This is the effect of both UV and normal oxidation, even with a finish on them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Search the forum for posts by Mark Singer. He used a lot of padauk in furniture pieces he designed and made. You'll get a pretty good idea of how not red/orange it stays.

I can share some photos of a jewelry box I made from padauk a number of years ago if you want to see it.

Padauk Finished beautifully.
    My Center island in the kitchen is a trestle design made of Padauk. The wood was basketball orange unfinished and using General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal it turned a really deep purplish brown color. If you want that basketball Orange color, you'll need to finish it in a manner different than I did.

Wenge pretty much stays the way it is. I made a tack trunk out of wenge and jatoba a decade back. Here is the link.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...unk&highlight=

A warning about wenge,
    Wear gloves when working with it. I would never advocate wearing gloves, or loose fitting material, around rotating machinery, except when working with wenge. Until it is finally sealed and finished, it has these really sharp, hair like barbs that easily penetrate skin. An actual splinter going in, will have you cussing like a sailor.
    I used some really tight, form fitting, gloves, and wore a long sleeve shirt buttoned at he cuffs and taped. Still, it gave me the heebies wearing gloves using a table saw. I kept thinking my first wood shop teacher was going to catch me using the saw with long sleeves.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Too true about splinters and wenge . Also when cutting it (especially) 8/4 it often will show a straw like color. Freaked me out the first time it happened. It will darken to its natural color in a day or two
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Wenge stays true to its color...other than finishing brings out the rich chocolate color even more. Splinters.....OUCH!
    I am attaching a photo of a coffee table I made for our living room about 10 years ago. It is a deep red and I think it has retained some of it's red color because it does not get much(if any) direct sunlight.

JimCoffee Table.jpgIMG_0954.jpg

That's a great looking table. Jim is it Andaman padauk?
    The Padauk from Africa is very unappealing.
    Aj

Wow, beautiful table, Jim!

Andrew,
    After looking it up, I would say it is Andaman Padauk. The grain and color on the table is near an exact match. I wasn't aware of there neing several varieties. I bought several pieces of it along with some Black Limba and Rosewood from a guy that was getting out of woodworking and moving several years ago. In fact, I still have a couple of slabs of the Padauk (9 " x 48" x 2"). Just haven't gotten in an orange dust mood lately!😊

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    That's a great looking table. Jim is it Andaman padauk?
    The Padauk from Africa is very unappealing.

Thanks Nick. My wife likes it enough that it's been in place for 10 years. That may be a record!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Wow, beautiful table, Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Andrew,
    After looking it up, I would say it is Andaman Padauk. The grain and color on the table is near an exact match. I wasn't aware of there neing several varieties. I bought several pieces of it along with some Black Limba and Rosewood from a guy that was getting out of woodworking and moving several years ago. In fact, I still have a couple of slabs of the Padauk (9 " x 48" x 2"). Just haven't gotten in an orange dust mood lately!
    Very cool Jim, some wood we don't ever find they find us. You did very good with a somewhat rare wood.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-09-2017 at 8:30 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Aj