Thread: What tools achieve this detail?

What tools achieve this detail?

I am building a cabinet that is modeled after one I see frequently in central Mexico. The one detail that eludes me is how to achieve this design? Is there a pointed wood chisel that is used to cut what I would call for lack of a better term the gable ends recesses? I am not a wood carver so hopefully that explains my lack of understanding here. Thanks for your patience.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.10.00 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Stuart Welsh; 11-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Look for corner chisel. See if that will work for you.
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

Blog Entries
    That appears to be an assembly, not a carving.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    That appears to be an assembly, not a carving.
    I've looked at this up close and I assure you Glenn, this is not an assembly.

Reminds me of chip carving, except the bottom is rectangular, not triangular. I'd guess a combination of a chisel and a knife, though I don't see why it couldn't be cut with just a straight/flat chisel and enough skill. (Think mortise, with the ends sloped to meet in the middle of the bottom. Pare along those slopes to clean up the sides.)

Of course, what do I know? I'd carve more if I actually knew what I was doing....

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Reminds me of chip carving, except the bottom is rectangular, not triangular. I'd guess a combination of a chisel and a knife, though I don't see why it couldn't be cut with just a straight/flat chisel and enough skill. (Think mortise, with the ends sloped to meet in the middle of the bottom. Pare along those slopes to clean up the sides.)

Of course, what do I know? I'd carve more if I actually knew what I was doing....
    David,

I know nothing about carving other than perhaps a turkey, even then the father in-law might beg to differ. What I think you are describing is what I tried first thing this morning. It worked but the idea of carving dozens is daunting. I happen to be going back to Mexico next week and hope to find a craftsman who can explain how this is most efficiently done. Stay tuned.

You can do all of it with a straight chisel(s) and a mallet. And very quickly.

Blog Entries
    Chisel and knife is that that is needed.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Welsh View Post
    I've looked at this up close and I assure you Glenn, this is not an assembly.
    Just goes to show you how a tailed woodworker’s mind works :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Many years ago I watched the craftsmen in Juarez, all they used to carve that design were knives and a chisels. The knives looked like chip carving knives and the chisels looked like Stanley chisels down to the plastic handles.

I agree - this looks like a triangular-bottomed mortise. I would use a couple of chisels and a mallet. Probably a wide chisel to cut the slope and a narrower paring chisel to trim the vertical sides.

Chisel and mallet.

Cut 1: From the "top" at 45degrees with the chisel back down, cut to the appropriate depth.
    Cut 2: From the "bottom" at 45 degrees, again with the chisel back down, to the appropo depth.
    Cut 3: Right "side" cut. Place chisel as you normally would, plumb to the work, then tilt your chisel so the angle of the chisel is at 45. The chisel back is FACING THE YOU (assuming your standing to the side of the work piece), NOT facing down to the wood. One corner of the chisel is touching the wood, the other corner is up in the air.
    Cut 4: Other side, mirror of cut 3.

The same thing could be accomplished with a regular bench chisel for the wide flat cuts, and a "dagger" (just like a marking knife) chisel for the side cuts. Get a cheapo chisel of the same width as the bench chisel and grind it appropriately. (Think of it as a double skew?)
    This method would mean no need to tilt the chisel to the side, just a normal plumb orientation.

It may take some experimentation to sort out the best order of the cuts relative to the grain. For speed, you could use the chisel from a hollow chisel mortiser to "mark out" all of the squares.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.