Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw addiction - which saw for another fix?

Bandsaw addiction - which saw for another fix?

I currently have 3 bandsaws, a DeWalt portable, a 14" Chinese built Delta, and a Griggio 24" beast that I'm looking to sell because its a 3 phase PITA. Both a 20" Grizzly ($500) and an 18" Steel City ($750) have popped up on our local Craigslist equivalent, either could be a replacement for the Griggio.

Orrrrr, I could possibly do something(?) to solve my 3 phase pain with the Griggio. (I have an RPC, but there's no switch on it.)

Kick around the Griggio "crossgrade" idea vs the Grizz vs the Steel City and give me y'alls' thoughts.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Seems easy enough to me. Keep the Griggio and fix the RPC, or buy a VFD.

Set the Griggio out on the curb and I'll come take it away so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

What are your needs for your next bandsaw? You're seriously considering a Grizzly or a Steel City to be a replacement/upgrade for a saw most people would put at the top of their "want" list?

What's the horsepower on it? If it's 3 or less, drop $200 on a TECO FM 50 and wire it up that way. If it's not, put a switch on that phase converter and move along! That's a monster of a saw, and unless it's badly broken or you're doing some really serious work that it can't handle, I'm not sure what the question is here.

Edit: There is NOTHING wrong with a bandsaw addiction, btw. I'd say keep them all! But I'd really like to see you keep the beast and get it working for you. Let us know how we can help.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-10-2017 at 9:17 AM.

Neither of those saws is a replacement. Fix the real problem. A mag starter for a rpc can be had cheap on ebay or a vfd can be had for a few hundred. you don't run a nice car on crap tires because you don't know how to change them. Don't make the same mistake with your hobby. Dave

I have a Kay RPC It didn't come with a switch. I bought a 3 phase service switch with appropriate fuses. Not a big deal.

Lot of Utubes out there on how to install a VFD for single phase input to 3 phase output.Bout 100.00per hp

I start my RPC (also a Kay ... white thing bottom left) with a disconnect (top left) which should be easily sourced inexpensively. I also added a 3-phase breaker box (bottom left) to feed a variety of different amperage 3-phase circuits. It all works pretty well.

I'd keep the Griggio and focus on that machine which should be pretty versatile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 11-09-2017 at 7:39 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Personally, I'd just deal with the motor/RPC situation with the Griggo...nothing you posted about is even remotely in the same category with that big, heavy saw. You'd have to spend a lot of money for something as capable with single phase power. If your current three phase power source isn't performing and you determine it's not going to be fixable, I'd look to replacing it with a VFD.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If all else fails replace the motor with a single phase. personally I would use a vfd so you can have slow start and power brakes. I would also add another stop switch on the back end of the table, just in case.
    Bill

You're considering replacing a 24" Griggio with a steel city or
    grizzly off Craigslist??

Do some digging to figure out exactly what you need to do to get your phase converter situation in order and be done with it.

Just stick a VFD on it
    I have a Chinese one I bought for about a hundred quid, and everything else ran to about ten quid...
    It's really easy peasy.

I recall you said he was like family anyway, you'd be mad to sell it, and you might not find another!

What weight is that machine?...I believe its heavier than the star series ...
    My saw is about 280KG plus my additions to it.
    It is a bit light for a 1" blade, but I'd guess your machine just about gets, say a Woodmaster CT
    properly tensioned to 25K

No problems with giving you the info on them, and parameters if you decide to buy a Chinese VFD...
    SAM_0940.jpg
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Seems easy enough to me. Keep the Griggio and fix the RPC, or buy a VFD.
    +1 ... what Matt said. Don't get rid of the beast - you'll regret it!

VFD or single phase motor.

Okay, okay, thank you all for the metaphorical smack upside the head, I'm not really sure what I was thinking, other than hearing the siren call of another bandsaw. I'll go the VFD route, and build some stout platform under the thing so I can raise it. The table on Papa Griggio ridiculously low (from the perspective of a 6' tall American rather than a 5'8" Italian).
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I would heartily add my vote for another band saw...PM 81 or 87...or a really nice HD band saw if you ahve the space. I know of both a 30 inch Tannewitz and a 27 inch Northfield for 2 grand...the addition never ends.

And yes, VFD.