Thread: Fiber Laser Purchase Advice Needed

Fiber Laser Purchase Advice Needed

I am in the market for a fiber laser marking/engraving machine.
    My intended use will be, engraving steel. I have included some images that, while not the exact application are similar in scale and the detail required.
    The engraved depth would be in the 1.0mm-2.5mm range. A typical engraved area would be about 9.5mm x 9.5mm up to 35mm x 35mm in size.

Does anyone have firsthand experience doing this type of work?
    How long would it take to complete an engraving like this?
    What wattage of laser was used?
    What area and depth was engraved?

Also what exactly is the difference between a 20W laser and a 30W laser from the same laser manufacturer, performance wise? From reading literally hundreds of spec sheets from various Chinese laser engraver sellers on eBay, Aliexpress, Alibaba and IndiaMart. I'm really not much more informed than I was before I started. It seams like there are only a handful of differing spec sheets that have been copied and pasted by almost all the sellers you can visit.

Since a 30W laser is 1.5 times as powerful as a 20W laser.
    Can a 30W laser remove the same material as a 20W but 1.5 times as deep per pass?
    Can a 30W laser remove the same material as a 20W 1.5 times faster at the same depth per pass?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Annis; 11-09-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    These look like visually deeper than a millimeter, more like the 2-3 at least. In Aluminum, you would be be able to use a 20 watt and do pretty quickly. Steel would take a good bit longer. You are removing a lot of material on most of those. I'd say spend the $ if this is your main market and get a 50 watt. It would be WELL worth the step up in cost I believe. I've a chinese 20watt from Ray Fine, worked fine out of the crate with zero issues after about 6 months. I kind of wish I'd have had the $$$ for a 30 watt, it would speed up some of my work a lot. A 20 would do those, just take a while.......
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I guess I'll have to find a seller that is willing to do some samples, using different wattage machines.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    In Aluminum, you would be be able to use a 20 watt and do pretty quickly. Steel would take a good bit longer.
    Interesting, I find deep engraving on aluminum takes far longer than deep engraving on steel.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Interesting, I find deep engraving on aluminum takes far longer than deep engraving on steel.
    That’s been my experience as well. 99% of the aluminum I do is anodized, maybe that makes a difference?

Blog Entries
    You guys have done more than me, but aluminum cuts way faster than steel in my experience. Grades of aluminum can have an affect I guess
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I would by a 50 over a 30 now

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I agree with Steve. I have to be careful when doing Glock Slides. I get way deeper much faster in these steel slides than I do on aluminum lowers. For steel slides I now reduce the power I use for aluminum lowers by about 25%.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC