Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which shaper would you buy..

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    SAC also came with a tenoning table which is even better.
    There's a sliding table tilting SAC on eBay right now for $8500. It's NOS, comes with all the tools and manuals. I've thought about snatching it up, I don't have a tilting spindle shaper and it'd be handy for a few things

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    There's a sliding table tilting SAC on eBay right now for $8500. It's NOS, comes with all the tools and manuals. I've thought about snatching it up, I don't have a tilting spindle shaper and it'd be handy for a few things
    I just picked up a tilting spindle sliding table (tenoning set up) gomad. 3rd one I have owned, better built than any scmi I have owned.

I have been gone for the weekend. Thanks for all the posts. I got a real good look at the Ema,it has 6'' of capacity under the nut. Fence is basic but solid,needs a few new handles. Table rings are missing on the top,there is a baltic birch replacement how big a deal is this ? anyone had new rings machined ? I will try to check out the other two machines before I make my decision, thanks Mike.

As I understand it, the rings are ground in place with the rest of the table, so they're kinda not easily replaceable. You could certainly have some made and lap them in by hand with a file on the underside. That wouldn't be the end of the world to do. One of my SAC shapers it's missing a ring, but for what it's set up for, I don't think there's any noticeable negative affects, but it would be a problem for most other operations.

I've had rings made. The key is to have machinist friend who will also come and measure everything himself. Those guys are so anal that they measure in ways I would not think of. They may still need some adjustment. You might want to be a little more patient and look for a machine that has been more loved. Dave

I made new rings using my Bridgeport for my SCMI that work perfect. I would think for a real machinist it would be a snap.

DSCF8919.JPG

DSCF8920.JPG

I've grown to like, or at least tolerate the differential threads and "O" ring on the spindle. I swap spindles on a regular basis and don't have any trouble at all. A proper wrench to fit the nut is a requirement.
    Larry

Darcy did you ever have a T160 SCM. saw one at an auction years back the useable spindle was double most shapers and it turned with zero resistance. Well maintained old beige machine way heavier than my T130.

Some of the table rings seem to be hand forged. Certainly no other reason for them to have hammer marks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Some of the table rings seem to be hand forged. Certainly no other reason for them to have hammer marks!
    Thanks for that, coffee everywhere!

On another note, I have heard that the rings are milled in place also, but when I think of how I would machine all the parts, I can't help but think the ring recess is milled incredibly close right from the start. Enough so, that you could make the rings, and you might need to just stone the ring/table edge interface.

That said, I would assess the Delta before I would commit to having to go the route of getting rings made- they need to be metal to expect any level of precision from the machine over time.
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 11-12-2017 at 7:38 AM.

When I had rings made, it was much easier to have several made with the same OD and different ID rather than a set of rings that fit inside other rings. Easier for the machinist and cheaper for me. Dave

Larry, did you make your rings from aluminum? If so do you have trouble with marking? My T23 has a complete set of rings but a big jump between 2 of them and I have had to make a MDF ring just to get through a job with certain cutters. Its on the to do list to get one made.

Dave, that makes sense. Making the rings fit each other would be a chore I think. Martin only sells replacement rings in full sets and pricy.

That's a solid plan Dave. You could probably just take the largest ring and have them fit to that.

Most of my shapers, (excluding the powermatics, where you could probably toss the rings from across the shop and get them to go on), I usually have to use a rubber mallet to tap on them while pulling to get them out. Especially when an employee decides to pay zero attention to there being index marks that are supposed to be lined up. They usually require a little tapping to get them in as well. I'm assuming that's a fairly normal experience?
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 11-12-2017 at 11:21 AM.

On the Martins I have had, and the SAC, it was a tight slip fit- bumped in with the side of your fist, and two hands next to each other to remove. The PM 27 I used to have was a very loose slip fit, and cast aluminum if I remember.
    On my newer T26, I just had my table ring opening enlarged by my son about 2 weeks ago in Machine Tech class. A lot of the newer Euro cutters like to use 160 mm as their outer diameter, and the opening was something like 159.4 mm or so,
    An interference fit is not good.
    I had him open it to 165 mm and it works slick.
    I noticed most rings are cast iron, but he said when cutting this, that it is some kind of hardened steel, based on how it cut, and the chips it made.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I just picked up a tilting spindle sliding table (tenoning set up) gomad. 3rd one I have owned, better built than any scmi I have owned.
    Ugly color though, hard to color coordinate.

I'll take the tenoning table off your hands. Been looking, if you happen to run across one give me a shout. Nice units.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Larry, did you make your rings from aluminum? If so do you have trouble with marking?
    Yes, they are aluminum and no trouble with marking. I do keep the rings and table waxed. I'm not a production shop either.
    Larry