Thread: PM 1300 dust collector fan curves

PM 1300 dust collector fan curves

I just got off the phone with Powermatic tech support trying to get the fan curve for my PM1300TX dust collector. The tech didn't have the information. No luck on Google either. Does anyone have a copy of the fan curve they can share?

The PM specs only list two points on the curve:

1300 CFM @ 0" SP
    1064 CFM @ 6" SP

Blog Entries
    Try calling back and asking for the engineering department or chief engineer. I would bet engineering has the fan curves.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Also ask for the impeller diameter and blade design ( backward curved or radial ) and the blade depth. If you know those measurements you can go to any similar unit including the Cincinnati fan tables and get close. If no info is available about 6" SP, run for cover. Most systems operate in the 5-10" range or higher. Dave

Here's what they sent me.

pefomance curve.jpg

Last edited by Robert Cherry; 11-10-2017 at 4:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Also ask for the impeller diameter and blade design ( backward curved or radial ) and the blade depth. If you know those measurements you can go to any similar unit including the Cincinnati fan tables and get close. If no info is available about 6" SP, run for cover. Most systems operate in the 5-10" range or higher. Dave
    It is a 12" straight blade design.

While I could not find a curve, it is very similar to the Jet 1.5 and 2.0 hp canister collectors.

It's often not easy to get actual (and accurate) fan curves from the mass marketers...unfortunately...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A 12" straight blade will deliver less cfm per amp at low pressure than a larger diameter BC impeller but at higher pressure it may deliver more. The benefit is great at larger diameters than at 12-13" sizes. If you open up the intake or expand the filter area, you must be careful to not over amp the motor. A BC impeller which is more often used in a smaller hobby unit will never over amp a motor but will deliver more efficiently only at lower pressure. You can not compare curves until you know the type of impeller. My Cincinnati fan table lists their 12x2.875" at 1307 cfm @1", 876@6" and 681@8" ( all assuming a 7" inlet ). A 13x3.25 BC does slightly better but uses slightly more amps. The housing design as well as the intake will change the numbers somewhat. Dave

EDIT. I just looked up the unit and see it is a 1.75 hp collector. I would strongly advise at least a 3 hp 1900 unit. I'm not a fan of cartridge filters without a preseparator but unless you hook up a 2 hp unit directly to a smaller machine with only a few feet of flex, you really won't get adequate collection. Cartridges on a direct unit should be of a tough enough fabric to withstand cleanings as the chips will stick in the pleats. I'd buy a double bagger and eventually upgrade to oversize Beane or Am Fabric Filter bags. A cyclone system is a whole different beast and cartridges are great for them. I've had the 2 hp single bagger, 3,5, and 7.5 hp cyclones and a 7.5 hp four bag Coral industrial direct. Skip the first step, it doesn't pay in the long run.
    Last edited by David Kumm; 11-10-2017 at 9:53 PM.

I should have been more clear in my original post- I already own the 1300. I'm looking for the fan curve since I need to reconfigure some of my DC piping and want to run through the calcs for the new runs. I'm positive I had the curve from PM when I installed it a few years ago but I can't find it now. The Jet info they sent me will be close, but I know the PM performs better than the Jet due in part to the different discharge ductwork used on the PM. So, if I design to the Jet curves, my PM should perform better. Just wish I could put my hands on the right fan curves!

Robert,

Here is a link to your DC https://www.woodmagazine.com/pdf/fan-curve-chart this is from their July DC review. It's for the CK version, not sure if that is what you have. Let us know how your changes work out.
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Carl...

The link is fine but you have to be able to sign in to see it.

I found my magazine and it does not have any fan curves. IMHO it is not a very useful article.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 11-11-2017 at 8:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    This is what is in the link:

247 Fan Curve.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for posting that Glenn!

Great chart...I wonder why it was not in the article?

Glenn,

Thanks for posting, I didn't think we could post something from a magazine, but I guess this was technically free since you could simply login with a free registration.

Larry - don't know if they left the fan curve on the site only to drive traffic back to the site? My takeaway from the article was the dismal performance many people experience (~200-300 CFM for many DCs) using a single 4" flex hose connected directly to a DC with some filter caking.
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl