Thread: I need a new height gauge

Blog Entries

I need a new height gauge

And the Aigner Distometer is no longer in production. Not that I'd pay $650 anyway, but if I could find a used one, I go with that.

I had an iGaging, but it is no longer functions. The primary application is for setting height on the shaper and fence offset.

What do you recommend?

Mike

Blog Entries
    I have and use the Wixey WR25 Mini Digital Height Gauge for setting table saw blade heights, router bit heights, etc. It is accurate enough for my woodworking needs.height.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lee. The Wixey looks like a nice tool, but the legs are too close together to work for most shaper operations...

Mike

I can set up my shaper with a straight edge and the spindle bushings in minimum time. Setting the fence is easy if your shaper has a miter slot but a you could just as easily learn to reference from the edge of your table. Grab a cutter with a known diameter, cut something and do a little math to find the center of your spindle from the edge of your miter slot/table. I can quickly set up my inboard or outboard distances using that method. I have a 5hp grizzly and the fence system is "muy muy mal". I made fences and offsets for all my applications and just use the center hood for dust collection purposes.

I write set up procedures and offset numbers on my fences and blocks for quick reference. I also use Freeborn's set of shims for dialing things in to .000 tolerances.

Most of the cutters I use have heights that vary in 1/4" increments, so using 1/4", 3/8, and 1/2" bushings gets me real close and fast. I know what shims equal 1/64, 1/32, and 1/16, so that takes care of anything dialing in. The only time I had to think about my set up was when I added sandpaper to my coping sled (which is the thickness of 1 yellow and 1 matte shim).

Did this help or was it confusing?
    -Lud

Maybe Ebay for the distometer

I just remembered, I saw just the type you are asking about on the Lamb Toolworks site.

Blog Entries
    Shop made works for me. Customize to your requirements.

big depth gauge 001.jpg

I just noticed the cabinets in the background of this pic . . . man, I have been using this thing for a lonnnnng time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How about a Snap Check PRO?
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 11-12-2017 at 2:19 PM.

A shaper/planer guage is not for woodworking. You need to use a different search term.
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I think the Lamb will work!

I have several dial gauges and make the fixtures that I need in shop for any set up task. Google, you tube will get you there. Carbide flat point ends work best and are worth every penny.

I would like to find a spindle height readout that stays with the machine. Eyes are getting bad but I can not afford a new shaper of the same quality with that option.

Larry, you need to look at Joe's picture of his tenon jig. I believe he is using a Siko gauge to measure the linear position. They make those for rotation as well in either mechanical or digital models. If you do not want to read it at the hand wheel you can connect that to a readout somewhere above the table. There is a bit too much backlash on my wee shaper, but this will work well on something like yours.

One digital readout:
    https://www.siko-global.com/en-ca/pr...ndicators/ap05

Siko Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ho...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Shop made works for me. Customize to your requirements.

big depth gauge 001.jpg

I just noticed the cabinets in the background of this pic . . . man, I have been using this thing for a lonnnnng time.
    I like your pragmatic solutions.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Larry, you need to look at Joe's picture of his tenon jig. I believe he is using a Siko gauge to measure the linear position. They make those for rotation as well in either mechanical or digital models. If you do not want to read it at the hand wheel you can connect that to a readout somewhere above the table. There is a bit too much backlash on my wee shaper, but this will work well on something like yours.

One digital readout:
    https://www.siko-global.com/en-ca/pr...ndicators/ap05

Siko Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ho...ature=youtu.be
    I wish someone would invent one that used a 1/8" spacer dropped on the spindle and a readout on the front by the crank. Yes I still have cranks. Would be simple it seems, but hey I am a woodworker. What do I know.

I'll look that up, thanks, Joe has all the cool stuff.