Thread: Hinges for frameless garage cabinets

Hinges for frameless garage cabinets

I recently moved, so it is time (again) to build garage storage cabinets. I showed my wife examples I found online. She likes the simple, clean design where the doors appear almost seamless. Basically, frameless cabinets with concealed hinges. An example would be like this here.

I figure I start with the hardware first. These will be large cabinets, 36" W x 96" H x 18" D with 18" W x 96" H doors. They will be constructed from 3/4-in plywood. Probably will need 4-5 hinges/door. Since these cabinets will be attached to each other's side, I need to find hinges that will allow for the doors to swing open without interfering with each other in either closed or opened positions. Ideally, two adjacent doors can be opened at the same time without interference.

The local big box store carries Liberty 110 degree full overlay hinges. They might work, but not sure if they will let the doors swing out without hitting the one next to it.

Any recommendation?

"Blum" make a great hinge IMO and has a vast array of styles. "Rockler" has a nice tutorial; http://www.rockler.com/how-to/choose...cabinet-doors/
    Good luck,
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-10-2017 at 6:31 PM.

For 1/2 overlay, this will give you 1/2 margin between doors where two ends are butted against each other.

Hinge 71B3590 This is Blum's INSERTA hinge and requires 8mm, 35mm, 8mm holes drilled at 4mm from door edge.
    Plate 175L6630.22 This is a 3mm plate.

For a tighter margin:

5/8 overlay will give you 1/4" margin in between two ends.

Hinge 71B3590 (same hinge)
    Plate 175L6600.22 This is a 0mm plate.

If you can't drill a 3-hole pattern, using a drill press and 35mm forstner bit then buy Blum's screw in version: 71B3550. The plates stay the same.

If you want to save a little bit of money you can change the "B" in the part number to a "T" and then they won't be soft close.

I would call a local cabinet shop and ask if they carry these, you could probably buy them cheaper there than you could online.

Some may argue that these hinges need to be drilled 5mm from the door edge, and they would be right because it's what Blum says to do in this application. But I'll take my experience over Blum's recommendation. After installing thousands of doors in both inset and overlay applications using Blum's hinges - 4mm works best for both applications. Overlay is supposed to be 5mm and inset is 3mm. Just drill them at 4mm - trust me.
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 11-10-2017 at 6:49 PM.
    -Lud

Justin is correct. I wouldn't mind a dollar for every one of these hinges I have used... Frameless cabinets have been standard in Australia for at least 40 years. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    I recently moved, so it is time (again) to build garage storage cabinets. I showed my wife examples I found online. She likes the simple, clean design where the doors appear almost seamless. Basically, frameless cabinets with concealed hinges. An example would be like this here.

I figure I start with the hardware first. These will be large cabinets, 36" W x 96" H x 18" D with 18" W x 96" H doors. They will be constructed from 3/4-in plywood. Probably will need 4-5 hinges/door. Since these cabinets will be attached to each other's side, I need to find hinges that will allow for the doors to swing open without interfering with each other in either closed or opened positions. Ideally, two adjacent doors can be opened at the same time without interference.

The local big box store carries Liberty 110 degree full overlay hinges. They might work, but not sure if they will let the doors swing out without hitting the one next to it.

Any recommendation?
    I'd recommend Salice or Hettich hinges:

https://www.westlunddistributing.com...n-c2r6a99.html
    https://www.westlunddistributing.com...mm-height.html

The Liberty ones from HD are pricey and not good.

I cannot add anything to Justin's advice, including his 4mm rule. Only if you do not find the hinges you need from a local cabinet shop as he suggests, two online sources are AH Turf or Woodworker's Hardware.

Also, I recommend getting the soft close. You have the option of turning the feature off with a little tab on the hinge.

Thanks everyone for your replies, especially Justin. One question to clarify. The plate 175L6600.22 is meant for face-frame cabinets. I intend to build frameless cabinets. I looked at the pictures of the plate. It has two small catches at one end, acting as stops for mounting to the face frame. For frameless cabinet application, do these catches go on the edge of the cabinet box (just like they would on the outer edge of the face frame)? I hope you understand what I mean.

I think AH Turf has the least expensive price I can find online. I can't seem to match up the Blum's part number to Woodworker's HW's sku number.

Frameless used a different baseplate. I use Blum hinges but don’t know the number offhand. In my laundry room I used 110 degree full overlay and have a consistent 1/8” reveal between doors and you can open two doors at the same time
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I only use Blum. I wouldn't buy any from Lowes or HD.

I get all my cab hardware from Woodworkers Hardware.com

I would not make the doors that high I would do 2 -48" high doors top and bottom.

These plates work for frameless. They're the easiest to install. If you want a plate that doesn't hook the face (which hides when the door is closed) then use - 175H7130 for 1/2 overlay and 175H7100 for 5/8 overlay.

You can download Blum's hinge planner(s) here: https://www.blum.com/us/en/01/70/40/

Let me know what you decide and I'll give you tips on drill and setting hinge plates.

*EDIT*

You have compact hinge options too. I don't prefer them, though they are cheaper, because you only get one screw into the cabinet. Go to any Lowe's or HD and you'll see these (not Blum brand) are the predominate style of hinge used because of cost savings.

38n355be08 are BluMotion (the BM can be disabled on these also)
    38n355ce08 are snap close
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 11-13-2017 at 8:02 AM.
    -Lud

Cool European hinges

We do not like framed cabinetry here in Brazil... all our cabinetry at home is frameless European Style with Brum European style hinges. They are more than 25 years old and they are like new. Easy and practical.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 11-13-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo error