Thread: 3D Metal printing

3D Metal printing

This seems like it could be an opportunity for smaller shops with enough $$$$, if it comes to fruition.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...desktop_metal/

Metal 3D printing at 100 times the speed and a twentieth of the cost
    If the Desktop Metal can pull this off, a revolution is coming
    Of course the usual corrections must be applied to the above.

I think another name is additive machining

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    This seems like it could be an opportunity for smaller shops with enough $$$$, if it comes to fruition.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...desktop_metal/

Of course the usual corrections must be applied to the above.
    I will get one if I can sell my current homes. I've been looking for a metal printing system for years. This one, at $120K is about as cheap as I've seen. Most of the real ones are in the range of $950K or so. It also takes metal injection mold powder, which is a lot less expensive than the stuff made for the laser sintering or laser melting systems. The only drawback is parts shrink around 17% during sintering, so they probably have to be made with the same rules as plastics to keep warpage and surface sinks at a minimum.

I've done some experiments with my own lasers in getting metal powders to fuse. Some success, but nowhere what it takes to make commercially viable products.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings