Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell PC prices

Blog Entries

Dell PC prices

I just got a brochure in the mail from Dell. On Nov 20 at 11 AM they will have a laptop on sale for $129, not very high powered from what I can tell but still a pretty amazing price. It does say limited quantities, I always wonder how "limited " the quantities are.
    Dennis

Hard to beat that price, if you can actually get your hands on one.
    I think I paid more than that for my last tablet.

That price is in typical ChromeBook territory...be sure you check the specifications.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is it still feasible to get a full size home computer with tower and is it something that is not practical any more. I do not have wifi.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Is it still feasible to get a full size home computer with tower and is it something that is not practical any more. I do not have wifi.
    Yes, desktops are still made, although the "towers" are typically much smaller. The unit I purchased for Professor Dr SWMBO's home office is such. It's an HP because that's what was the best deal at Costco at the time, but I also looked at equivalent Dell. "All in One" units are also popular for desktop use...the computer is physically located in the monitor. These are nice in that they take up less space. The only footprint is the monitor (typically 21", 24" or 27") and the keyboard and rodent. That's the format I bought my older daughter a few years ago to replace a tiny netbook.
    --

For desktops I like to buy open box units from Microcenter I run 1 for my CNC router and 1 for my laser cutter. My wife uses 1 for her office also. We each have an open box laptop from them also

Check the reviews & processor speeds. Generally the cheaper they are the lower the performance.

Like most things, you get what you pay for.

My son has had pretty good luck with refurbished laptops.

Blog Entries
    I have been in the industry too long apparently . I use a laptop when I need to and a tablet or a phone if I am really in dire straits but, I wouldn't want to actually work full time on anything other than a fully functional workstation. Obviously "fully functional" varies with what you use your tools for. I think I am retiring just a few years too late .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have both. I use a laptop when traveling and I have a 6 year old Dell desktop that I had built. It was "overtop" when I had it built but it's handled upgrades and the volumes of photographs my wife produces.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, my primary personal machine has been a 27" iMac since 2010. I also have a Macbook Pro 13" Retina that I purchased in 2012 to use as a BYOD work computer ... which is equipped with a high-quality 27" Dell screen and external keyboard for desktop use. If the iMac "goes" at some point, which most likely would be the screen backlight, etc., the laptop will replace it since it's a great "desktop" in it's own right, outside of being limited to 8GB of RAM. And it's no longer a dedicated work machine. Desktop and portable has really "blurred" a lot in recent times, especially for folks who need both functions and don't want multiple computers. And while that 13" screen is fine when traveling, I wouldn't want to do "real work" on it without the large monitor.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Obviously "fully functional" varies with what you use your tools for.
    True that: my current definition for "fully functional" includes a 32" monitor, but 90% of the time I'm on that machine, Photoshop is running full-screen.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have been in the industry too long apparently . I use a laptop when I need to and a tablet or a phone if I am really in dire straits but, I wouldn't want to actually work full time on anything other than a fully functional workstation. Obviously "fully functional" varies with what you use your tools for. I think I am retiring just a few years too late .
    Same here. A notebook is fine if you need portability. I have a couple pre-'chiclet keyboard' thinkpads which are known for their very good keyboards. I still much prefer my mechanical keyboard, Kensington trackball and large monitor. A notebook plugged into a dock with 'real' keyboard etc. might work fine. For my purposes, high end processors and graphics are unnecessary. Gamers on the other hand want the highest end CPUs and especially GPSs that they can afford.

You can plug a monitor and keyboard/mouse dongle into a laptop in about 2 seconds and get those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    You can plug a monitor and keyboard/mouse dongle into a laptop in about 2 seconds and get those things.
    Yes but do laptops last as long as base units?? I heard that heats beats lap tops up and being confined to a small space it is a problem.
    John T.

Yes but do laptops last as long as base units?? I heard that heats beats lap tops up and being confined to a small space it is a problem.
    Yes laptops can last as long as a tower. I have had some last for 10 years before I replaced it and it still was working. Just like desk tops they start to get slower as the new software takes more memory and newer graphics