Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling multi-drawer tool cabinet: Any suggestions?

Question Rolling multi-drawer tool cabinet: Any suggestions?

I am wanting to build a rolling tool cabinet with multiple drawers and was hoping I could get some suggestions on where to start. I'm not going for the "work of art" thing, Pine & particle board would work just fine. (I hope I didn't just commit a sin by saying that PB word! ) I just need something functional. Any links you can send me to would be great too!

Thanks
    Last edited by Dominick Giarraputo; 11-03-2005 at 9:09 PM.
    Take care, Dominick

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Giarraputo
    I am wanting to build a rolling tool cabinet with multiple drawers and was hoping I could get some suggestions on where to start. I'm not going for the "work of art" thing, Pine & particle board would work just fine. (I hope I didn't just commit a sin by saying that PB word! ) I just need something functional. Any links you can send me to would be great too!
    I've had pretty good luck with the MillsPride closet/garage stuff from Home Depot.

Here's a link to a catalog: http://images.millspride.com/media/p...rodcatalog.pdf

For a 24"x24" counter-height module, the base cabinet (C3) gives you one drawer and a door. Top it with a countertop piece (A53) and replace the door with two 10" drawers (AD21). The door can then be used to close off the back. A couple of blocks under the base give you mounting points for the casters of your choice or use one of Rockler's mobile bases.

Or bolt two of them together as part of a workbench base.

I think that ShopNotes and/or Woodsmith have featured some very nice tool cabinetry from time to time that might fit the bill. They use baltic birch plywood and nice techniques...and even dress things up a little with some easily-sourced aluminum stock.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How about this

Pictures of cabinets I finshed up a few months ago. The bottom drawers ride on bearing glides. The upper drawers are all different sizes. I made four of these out of common BORG materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't cut corners on the rolling part of the cabinet. I've made cabinets and used the cheap wheels. Yes they do roll, sort of.

I have switched to wheels that are much better. I use these ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1989) but I'm sure there are others just as nice. My only problem with them is now they roll so easily I have to be carefull when I unlock them. With the slant the garage floor has, the unlocked cabinet wants to go play in the street!

I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Rolling multi-drawer tool cabinet: Any suggestions?

Thanks to all for your suggestions and pictures. What great idea's. Those are very close to what I had in mind which only reinforces that I'm on the right track. I agree about using good quality wheels and bearing slides. I have never worked with full extention slides so that will be a challange for me in itself. Hey Paul & Bart, what is the height of your cabinets? (once again , looking for a starting place)

Thanks again for all the help!
    Last edited by Dominick Giarraputo; 11-04-2005 at 11:05 PM.
    Take care, Dominick

Height

Dominick, the height was customized to fit under my lumber rack as well as the lathe. Suggest you tailor your design to do the same as it is a real space optimizer when approached that way. Mine are about 30”. For economy I only used the rollers on the large lower drawers that would hold heavy portable power tools. The smaller drawers really don’t need it.

My first project was a rolling tool cart. It's all plywood construction with roller slides and decent wheels. I'd do some things differently now (like make all four wheels castering instead of just two) but overall I'm satisfied.

Rockler has the Woodsmith plans. Item number 13157.

It has a matching tool chest for the top of the cart. I haven't found a need for it, personally.
    Brian Austin
    Phoenix, AZ

"Rule One: Well, I won't get it done sittin' here drinking coffee.
    Rule Two: The best you can do is the best you can do, so don't panic."
    -- John Gierach

Bearing slides

Hey Dom:

Here is a tip I did not follow:

Intall your slides such that they have a slight "downhill" tilt to the rear of the cabinet. Maybe 1/4" over the 22" length?

I did not do this and if all or most of the 6 large drawers slide open at once (say when rolling the cabinet) it will quickly tip forward and break your legs.

Bill Fields

wheels

Dom--

second the motion about good quality 5" or 6" casters--I usually buy mine at Haarbor Freight--planning to toss about 1 out of 5 bought due to out-of-roundness. They are about 1/4 the cost of borg casters. Since evreything in my shop is mobile, I go thru a lot of casters.

Also, agree that full-swivels all around is more verstile (harder to steer) than 2 fixed/2 swivel.

Bill Fields

This is what I did:

Combines tool storage with an outfeed table and uses restaurant bus bins for drawers, so it goes together fast. The table can be rotated 90 degrees for ripping long stuff.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I think that ShopNotes and/or Woodsmith have featured some very nice tool cabinetry from time to time that might fit the bill. They use baltic birch plywood and nice techniques...and even dress things up a little with some easily-sourced aluminum stock.
    The ShopNotes and Woodsmith plans are on their PlansNow.com site, and are pretty reasonable in price. They are basically reformatted reprints of the articles, sometimes with two or more articles combined. If you can't find the original magazine articles, the PlansNow.com site is pretty handy.

Rolling multi-drawer tool cabinet: Any suggestions?

HOLY COW! I fell like a kid in a candy store! What great suggestions. With all this help I should be able to build a tool chest that could blast off into outer space! Brad, you took the words out of my mouth with doubling it as an outfeed table. I have to share my shop (garage) with wife's car so space is at a premium ... and the advise on tilting the slides back so the drawers won't all open and only using the rollers on the large lower drawers are excellent thoughts too, thanks Bill & Paul. I'm going to try to work something up this weekend, I'll post some pics for approval.

Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by Dominick Giarraputo; 11-05-2005 at 5:45 PM.
    Take care, Dominick

Dominick,

Don't be afraid of the installation of the full extension drawer slides. I can help with that to make it fairly easy when you get ready, so just PM me when you are there and I'll help all I can to make it an easier installation.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.