Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolling multi-drawer tool cabinet: Any suggestions?

Like Brad I used removable plastic trays in my units. Bacause I tend to use this staorage for service tools for my machines I give each major machine its own drawer and when I need the tools I just take the whole draw to the machine. Works well for me and deals with my compulsive inability to put things back where they belong.

Any relatives in Atlanta

Dominick,
    It is not like your last name is Smith or Brown. Any relatives in Atlanta? My psuedo-nanny (see below) is from New Orleans, just graduated from Agnes Scott college and now lives in my carriage house, right above the shop.

Just thought it was an interesting coincedence.

* psuedo-nanny = 18 hours a week or so of help with kids and house in exchange for rent.
    Scott

Rolling multi-drawer tool cabinet: Any suggestions?

Scott, no relatives in that area that I know of but that's not to say that we're not from that same clan from the old country. I'm from Brooklyn, 2nd gen American as is all of my family. My grandfather came over on the boat in the early 1900's from Palermo Sicily.

Tell nanny I said hello and that's nice to know that I'm not the only "G" out there!
    Take care, Dominick

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Giarraputo
    Scott, no relatives in that area that I know of but that's not to say that we're not from that same clan from the old country. I'm from Brooklyn, 2nd gen American as is all of my family. My grandfather came over on the boat in the early 1900's from Palermo Sicily.

Tell nanny I said hello and that's nice to know that I'm not the only "G" out there!
    Hi Dominick,

Welcome to the Creek.

Where in Brooklyn are you from? - it's a huige town. I was born in Bensonhurst, but we moved to Marine Park soon thereafter.

Bob
    bob m

Dom, I'll let her know. i do know she has an unlce and cousins that own resturants in NYC.

I grew up in Queens myself.
    Scott

Rolling multi-drawer tool cabinet: Any suggestions?

Scott & Bob, I guess we were nieghbors, I'm a Greenpoint boy! Boy it's a small world, huh! I only lived there until I was 8 then we moved to Missouri but I've been back plenty. It's stays in your blood. Nice to meet you both.

Anyway, here's what I cooked up so far on my tool cabinet. Pocket hole technology is so cool! I'm still puzzled about the correct way to install the drawer slides and what would be the best material to make the boxes out of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take care, Dominick

Plans Now had a free plan for a rolling tool cabinet.
    http://plansnow.com/cmpdn001.html

I like the idea of plastic trays--good and simple.

Another tip:

Buy the Rockler/Kreg tool for placing long slides--uses magnets and saves many an error--I Know!

I have installed maybe 50-60 sliding drawers/pull-outs at my home --and this tool makes it EASIER--not easy.

Another tip--for beginners like me:

Build the carcase first--install the cabinet side slides and the drawer side slides----and FINALLY measure for your drawer widths inside those dimentions..

THE inside dimentions of the installed complete slide shoud be equal to your future drawer widths. I would subtract a 1/8--1/16 " for tolerance.

Godd luck and patience!

BIll Fields

Pick up a copy of the Workbench Book from Taunton; this is the publisher of Fine Woodworking magazine. There are some great ideas for rolling tool chests that will give you some ideas. Or check your local library.
    Shopnotes/Woodsmith magazines have published some great tool chests in the past that would make a fine addition to your shop.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.

Dominick,
    Here are some pictures of the tool cart I just finished in Sept. The plans came from "ShopNotes" vol 14 issue 79. It was to go in my shop but my daughter liked it so now it houses all the Barbies. At least now I will not step on those shoes any more. they hurt!!
    bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lost to another kid!

Bob,
    I love the slant top disign of your tool...err...Barbie box. I thought I was the only one who lost things like that to me kids! What thickness stock did you use for the drawer boxes?
    Thanks for sharing the pix.
    Take care, Dominick

Dominick,
    I used 1/2 burch plywood for the sides 1/4 hardboard for the bottom and the false front is 3/4 hard maple
    bob

Woodsmith issue Vol 20, #118 has the roll around tool cart I want to build out of baltic birch just as soon as I convince the LOL that she should park the car outside.