Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: workbench/interior furniture? Any dual use guys?

workbench/interior furniture? Any dual use guys?

Hey guys,
    I was dimensioning an alaskan yellow cedar neck blank last night, and thought it'd be really interesting to build a desk/workbench for my bedroom.
    Do any of you guys:
    1. Do apartment/bedroom woodworking?
    2. Have any "incognito" woodworking setups?

Currently, I just work on the floor and carry most of my stuff in systainers. Need to refine my floorbench.
    Eventually, I'd like to create some tool cabinetry that wouldn't look out of place in an interior design magazine. Looking for some design ideas.

My bench is dedicated to woodworking, but I have seen antique benches repurposed as kitchen islands. If I did any woodworking in the kitchen my bride would not be pleased.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I've set up a Workmate clone in the dining room on top of a sheet of cardboard a couple of times (needed the natural light to cut dovetails (my regular workbench is at one end of a basement laundry room) and it was too cold (single digits) to work out on the deck as I usually do).

I've like to work up something a bit more practicable, and am contemplating the Lee Valley apartment workbench, though I'll probably start w/ a simpler version of the portable "Milkman's workbench".

Blog Entries
    A workbench can double as a dining table or even a bar.

My memory is a bit foggy on the subject but it was either in Seattle or Portland where old work benches were used as such.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I only have a 10' x 12' room attached to a 5th wheel, my bench is less than 2' x 4' but I just use it for a workbench and sometimes as a staging area.
    Rick

IMG_2781.jpg

I join my SAPFM group at the Detroit Institute of Arts for an exhibition each year, and use a bench on bench to demonstrate from. It is placed on a folding table and is secure enough for doing planing and sawing on. Google "milkman's bench" for a neat, easily stowable bench that is used on a table. (just watch out for the "free plans" scams)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Hey guys,
    I was dimensioning an alaskan yellow cedar neck blank last night, and thought it'd be really interesting to build a desk/workbench for my bedroom.
    Do any of you guys:
    1. Do apartment/bedroom woodworking?
    2. Have any "incognito" woodworking setups?

Currently, I just work on the floor and carry most of my stuff in systainers. Need to refine my floorbench.
    Eventually, I'd like to create some tool cabinetry that wouldn't look out of place in an interior design magazine. Looking for some design ideas.
    Google “Apartment Workbench”. Lee Valley offers a plan based upon an old design (not sure where it comes from). Very cool concept for combination tool chest and workbench.

http://shedplanscourse.com/wp-conten...ch-tools-2.jpg

I built the Apartment Workbench from Lee Valley. It works great, very solid bench. It's about 90% solid maple, so it's quite heavy. I still have it out in the shop, but it's ready to move into the house for winter working if I can get it moved. This was the "scope creep" project. Instead of simple joints for the drawers (there are 10 of them), I opted for half blind dovetails. Then to prevent catching myself on the knobs, I opted for inset ring pulls (17 of them).photo 1.jpg photo 3.jpg

I've since added a caster system to allow me to move it about the shop.

Great looking piece, Dan.
    Rick

Very, very cool --- looking forward to hearing how it works out for you --- as I noted, I'd love to build one myself, and hope to after retirement.

The original bench was by Melhuish in England. Hammacher Schlemmer & company built a similar one.

Ken

Melhuish-Bench.jpg

Nice workmanship, Dan!

And here I was thinking of just popping lee valley cast iron legs on a nice slab.

Hey Rick,

I'd be most likely to build something like your workbench.
    My only changes would be to take out the front lower stretcher/shelf so that I can tuck a chair underneath.

overall, it looks very sturdy and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    I only have a 10' x 12' room attached to a 5th wheel, my bench is less than 2' x 4' but I just use it for a workbench and sometimes as a staging area.
    Rick

IMG_2781.jpg

Hi Matt,

The only thing I would change is the 2''x 8'' skirting, I used construction grade lumber with a high moisture content and it shrunk considerably.
    The top is K-D 2x3 Douglas Fir and the legs were reclaimed porch posts that were 30 years old.
    IMG_3157[1].jpgThe shrinkage about 3/16' in 8 months otherwise I'm very happy.

The bench is in regular use out in the shop.

Thanks for the complements, it did win a blue ribbon at the Colorado State Fair a few years back.

This is what it looked like on Sunday morning.IMG_1142.jpg