Thread: Sharpening Router Plane Blades

Sharpening Router Plane Blades

I just spent the better part of two hours restoring a couple of router plane blades from an old #71 I found a couple years ago. What a miserable job. It didn’t help that the large blade was chipped. Any tips from those more experienced than I on how to sharpen these? I did a pretty decent job I guess (they cut) but I’d really like to get a razor edge established. Holding the blades steady is the problem. Thanks for any tips.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob, Derek Cohan has a method he uses that I have found vary useful. Try this Sharpening Router Plane Blades
    Chet

Brilliant! Looks like a great approach. I hollow grind everything else and like the ease of edge maintenance.

I whipped up a little saddle jig like Derek’s this morning and tried his hollow grind approach. I had razor sharp blades in short order. Thanks for the tip Chet. Thanks for the great write up Derek.

You're welcome, Rob.

D'you suppose Pop Wood would like this tip ... nah .. only thing that wins are clamp stands.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    You're welcome, Rob.

D'you suppose Pop Wood would like this tip ... nah .. only thing that wins are clamp stands.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I hadn't noticed this before. Great idea, Derek! Simple, quick, and useful.

I agree that PopWood would not be interested in this excellent technique. It lacks a certain air of BS, oops, I mean savoir-faire. I wonder if you could slip it in under PopWood's radar by presenting it as a pencil sharpener....? This change in application should increase the two factor factors critical for publishing in woodworking magazines nowadays: Silliness and uselessness. And if you linked it to a powertool with a name brand showing, the advertisers would line up to have their tool in the pictures.

Stan

Neat and nice way of sharpening a router blade. Did you try it with PopW as a ttip? If not, I will...kidding of course.

I have had no problem honing the Veritas cutters especially the new ones. The early batch was coarse and one had to do quite a bit to get it ready. Diamond stones were the way to go.

Simon