Thread: Using a mask.

Using a mask.

I have a new Idea that requires me to engrave photos of faces on glass. The u-tube videos I have watched have shown me that a transfer mask gives much better detail to the work, and I'm finding this to be true. My question is what type of medium tack mask do you people think is the best for this application? I have a Trotec speedy 300, 80 watt laser, and would also like some input on what settings you might suggest? I know all machines are different, but opinions would be cool. I have had some fair results 100 power and 100 speed, but am not so pleased with the mask I'm using! Thanks for your thoughts folks!

Thoughts 'bout glass engraving

<p>
    JEFFEREY First off: IMO, &#39;ot depends upon the intial quality, resolution, &#39;n software reparation of any given photo. That said: I&#39;ve tried that (JDS) &quot;green glass masking tape&quot; once, or twice; didn&#39;t find it making &#39;substantial difference in results. So I don&#39;t bother with it. I have learned that first wiping the glass with mild soapy solution seems to help somewhat - must cool the glass? - as it&#39;s my understanding that the laser is &quot;chipping &#39;n fracturing&quot; the glass. All I want&#39; a do, of course, is to &quot;etch on it. (in my case, using my 35W Epilog - 35 speed / 100 power / 400 dpi.) - so, maybe, experiment with less speed? Also depending upon the project, I&#39;ve learned I can &quot;color fill&quot; so that the image shows up more clearly. Lastly, I, of course, engrave from the reverse side, so the glass is easier to clean later. Ultimately, like anything else, trial and error is the best teacher! (so, anyway, best of luck with your &quot;new idea&quot;. BILL</p>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Stearns; 11-13-2017 at 1:03 PM.
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Sorry - from Bill

Sorry - typed my post - showed up with those strange symbols in the text. - but, hopefully is readable. ? BILL
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Thanks for the input Bill!

Hi Bill , could you give me a quick rundown on what you do to prep the photo before you send it over to the engraver? I adjust the contrast to lighten up the image, then unsharpen the image by 500 %. Then turn it into a negative, then B/W. The picture you posted looks great!