Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small-space woodworking: what power tools are most useful for neanderthalers?

I've given a fair amount of consideration to how I would outfit a shop in the bay of a toyhauler. For stationary/benchtop tools I came up with a quality 14" bandsaw, a lunchbox planer, a drill press. The flexibility of the bandsaw gets it a spot. The accuracy of the DP and the sweat savings of the lunchbox planer earn them tickets. Total footprint on those is about 8 sq. feet. I'd go with a Paulk style workbench topping my motorcycle lift (voila, adjustable height work bench w/ some weight), tracksaw, router with drop-in router table, high end QUIET vac with cyclone and ROS. Portable hand tools involve little space, so I'd have what I have now, just not as many. I'd have a smallish, QUIET compressor for pneumatic fastening AND motorcycle stuff. There's a very high probably that I'd do a flip-top cart for the lunchbox planer, and have the Rigid Oscillating Belt/Spindle sander on it, although it may end up being the home for a bench grinder instead/also. A nice good sized (36-44") mechanics tool chest combo would house most/all the hand tools and portable power tools. I'd probably try to figure out whether I could shoehorn a lathe (full size or Midi with bed extension) in.... Pretty much everything except the drill press would be on wheels, and I might very well swap out the floor standing DP for a benchtop model that can go on a cart, simply to get the storage space of the cart.

What would be "lost" relative to my current shop is the cabinet saw with sliding table, the assembly table, the rolling cart, the stack of sawponies, the SCMS & cart, the jointer/planer, the rolling clamp rack, the lumber storage, the monster bandsaw and monster split top Roubo. Most duplicate power and hand tools wouldn't make the toy hauler, nor would the welder, big honkin' vintage vise and most other metal workin' stuff. I would almost certainly add a Domino.

One thing to keep in mind is that generally "taking up minimum space" and "organized for maximum work efficiency" are diametrically opposed. Hopefully you've got a fair to excellent grasp on where you are most comfortable on the spectrum between the two, as well as how your space will relate to the spectrum.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I would sort of agree, but have always been working in very small spaces (under my desk at dorm room, or on my bedroom floor).
    My current power tool space isn't super big (it's a 1.4 car garage), but tools have filled up the area quickly.

IMHO--and how I'm planning to structure my tools--I want everything on casters, and have the heights at comfortable levels for the job.
    I'd like to have the tools nestle together when stored, and pull things out as needed....sorta like this guy's apartment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB2-2j9e4co
    Also, this is pretty amazing: http://www.finewoodworking.com/reade...ngeon-workshop

Maybe I should re-post that nickle tour of my Dungeon Shop?

I think Dereks recommendation are spot on. I would add a planer as well.
    Paul

I think some of you guys need to re-read the OPs post.

I sold the planer, the jointer, and the bandsaw yesterday, and the contractor-style tablesaw is going to be sold, even if I need to reduce the price to almost nothing. There's simply no room.

Heres all i need: Jig saw, a good circular saw, a short and long clamp on straight edge, small and large router, portable router table, battery powered drill screwdriver, ROS, shop vac, portable task light. That's it, that's all I need, oh, and this benchtop drill press, that's all I need.

Since you already sold your big stationary tools and you have a set of core tools, I'd recommend waiting until you get into a couple of projects in the new shop and identify the pinch points where you're wishing you had an apprentice...

matt

Blog Entries
    My kit has changed a bit as a professional and cutting out some of the more time consuming areas but frankly your current set of machine tools is plenty. Spend the money burning a hole in your pocket on some good hand tools and have at it.

Don't build a gigantic workbench that consumes a good chunk of your shop and is immovable. Build a hefty, narrow but decently long workbench that can be moved or knocked down.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I sold the planer, the jointer, and the bandsaw yesterday, and the contractor-style tablesaw is going to be sold, even if I need to reduce the price to almost nothing. There's simply no room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    I think some of you guys need to re-read the OPs post.
    Most of us likely saw that. Before mentioning the sale he also asks:

tell us what few minimum power tools make most sense to someone wanting to do modestly-sized projects, such as casework and furniture.
    He didn't mention whether selling his bandsaw was a matter of not being able to move it or a space problem.

In my opinion, even in a limited space, a good bandsaw is a versatile tool worth making room to have on hand.

My old bandsaw was a 10" Rockwell with 6" re-saw ability albeit slow. It was amazing how much it could do for all of its limitations. My current bandsaw has incredible abilities compared to my old bandsaw.

In the big picture this thread will be around for a long time. Though the answers may have been directed toward Gene Davis (the OP), people other than Gene will likely stumble across this thread with the same question Gene originally asked, "what few minimum power tools make most sense to someone wanting to do modestly-sized projects, such as casework and furniture."

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-14-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In my hand tool shop I have a bench top drill press (wouldn't do without it) and cordless drill/driver. If I was to go hand tool only completely, I'd keep a (high quality) bandsaw and a belt sander & spindle sander, along with my aforementioned drill press.

I have a separate power tool shop, and have a fantastic table saw and a pretty good planer, both of which save me a lot of time. I don't have a jointer, as I prep one side and one edge of my stock by hand to be finished by the planer and saw.

11. If I had to choose only one power tool to break down lumber to work with hand tools it would be my Bosch jig saw. They offer a wide assortment of blades that will smoothly and quickly go thru even 2" thick hardwood. Add a straightedge and you're good for breaking down sheet goods or ripping long boards. It will scroll cut as well as a band saw. Fits in a case the size of a briefcase.
    If you have the room a Shopsmith with accessory's will do a lot. Late model second hand ones are relatively cheap and plentiful.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    In my opinion, even in a limited space, a good bandsaw is a versatile tool worth making room to have on hand.

In the big picture this thread will be around for a long time. Though the answers may have been directed toward Gene Davis (the OP), people other than Gene will likely stumble across this thread with the same question Gene originally asked, "what few minimum power tools make most sense to someone wanting to do modestly-sized projects, such as casework and furniture."

jtk
    Well said Jim!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Frederick.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    That is, if you use any at all. I am wrestling with having to go small, into the SW Florida garage I'll have when we move there. I have discussed in other threads here the situation with humidity and temperature, so this new thread is to address the kit of tools, bench, and storage for a small-footprint hobby.

So, unless you are a total samurai, and are completely off-grid, tell us what few minimum power tools make most sense to someone wanting to do modestly-sized projects, such as casework and furniture.
    I don't mean to throw cold water on the discussion, but based on the original post, and then seeing the direction the thread has taken, I must ask the blazingly obvious question: "Why any powertools?"

If you are a "Neanderthal," then by definition powertools are not necessary. Dispute this point if you want to look silly.

If you have some on the side (I have some hand powertools like everyone here), then that is fine. But consider if this forum is really the proper place for a lengthy discussion focused solely on powertools.

There are other worlds than these.

Stan

You pretty much answer your own question in the post. Save your money for the new hand tools you find you need and the wood you can enjoy working with.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!